Full Moon Rising
Cook's notes: A chicken dinner with an Asian flair. It's the perfect beginning for your holiday weekend grilling. It can be ready in 30 minutes. The dish is a nice blend of sweet, salty and sour – plus the sesame oil and the spices add a new layer of flavor. I added a side dish of herb baby roasted potatoes but rice would pair well with the chicken. The broccoli was steamed in a foil packet. A squeeze of lemon was splashed on broccoli before the packet was sealed. The packet was placed on the grill the last ten minutes of cooking time for the chicken. Another option to consider is when steaming the broccoli add in red peppers, mushrooms and sprinkle the mixture with 1/2 tsp. dried herbes de Provence.
Recipe serves four and was adapted from cookingclassy.com
Hoisin Glazed Grilled ChickenIngredients:
- 4 (6 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 TB. soy sauce
- 1 TB. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp peeled and finely minced fresh ginger
- 1- 1/2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3/4 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 1 tsp. honey
- Vegetable oil, for brushing grill
- Sliced green onions and sesame seeds, for serving
- Preheat a gas grill over medium-high heat to about 400 degrees. Meanwhile pound chicken to an even thickness using the flat side of a meat mallet.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, honey and Chinese Five Spice Blend. Pour half of the hoisin mixture into a separate small bowl.
- Brush grill grates lightly with oil. Grill chicken 4 minutes then brush both sides with hoisin sauce mixture from one bowl (if you prefer a nice dark char on your chicken you can brush with sauce at the beginning vs. after the 4 minutes). Continue to grill on opposite side until nearly cooked through, about 3 minutes longer, then brush both sides (using a clean basting brush) with remaining sauce and continue to grill about 1 minute longer, or until center reaches 165 on an instant read thermometer.
- Serve warm with green onions and sesame seeds.
Some ideas to get your Memorial Day gathering started