Summer Brunch for the BunchItalian Vegetable Strata with Turkey Sausage
Cook’s notes: Prep this veggie-packed dish in advance. Refrigerate overnight-pop in the oven – kick back to enjoy your lake company. Some options that can be added to this hearty dish include sausage and wild rice. Focaccia bread adds a lot of flavor to the dish. If using French bread add 2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning to the milk mixture. A time saver is to cook wild rice and sausage in advance as well as toasting bread cubes. Recipe serves 8-10 and was adapted from dashrecipes.com
- 1 large loaf Focaccia bread, French bread or whole wheat French bread, about 7 cups
- 1 TB. olive oil
- ¾ cup scallions, diced
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, torn with stems removed
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups cooked turkey or Italian sausage, crumbled
- 7 large eggs
- 3 cups 2 % milk
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cup grated Gruyere or white cheddar cheese, divided
- Cube the bread and lightly toast it on a rimmed sheet at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 pan.
- Heat olive oil in a fry pan. Add in scallions, pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms. Sauté for 4 minutes, add in spinach, wild rice and sausage. Cook 3 minutes longer.
- Mix milk, dry mustard, pepper, eggs and Parmesan cheese in blender.
- In a baking dish layer half of the toasted bread cubes. Spread evenly the veggies/sausage mixture. Pour over bread mixture half the milk mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat with a second layer ending with cheese on top.
- Using a sheet of wax paper press down to make sure bread is completely submerged in liquid. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let set 8 minutes before serving.
Mango Peach and Strawberry SmoothieCook’s notes: Add a tropical flair to your brunch with this yummy healthy, creamy, delicious smoothie. Recipe adapted from cookingclassy.com and serves 2.
- 1-1/2 cups frozen, peeled mango chunks, partially thawed
- 1-1/2 cups frozen strawberries, diced
- 1 cup fresh peach slices (2 medium peaches, pitted) or frozen peaches
- 1 well ripened frozen banana
- 2 cups chilled pineapple, orange juice or V Fusion Peach Mango (I tested with Fusion Peach Mango by V8)
- Add all ingredients in a blender, process until smooth, serve immediately.