Grilled Veggie Pasta SaladMake use of all those fresh summer vegetables with this light and flavorful Grilled Summer Vegetable Pasta Salad with Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette. I’ve used zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, and red onion, but you can pretty much use any vegetable you have in your garden or your refrigerator. Eggplant and broccoli would also work well as would some corn.
Recipe adapted from spicysouthernkitchen.com
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound corkscrew pasta or penne
- 2 TB. lemon juice
- 2 TB. red wine vinegar
- ½ TB. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup julienned fresh basil
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- Cut yellow squash and zucchini in half lengthwise and then into half moon shapes. Cut red bell pepper and red onion into approximately 2-inch chunks. Place together in a medium bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. When hot add vegetables. Grill until they develop nice grill marks and then flip over and continue to cook until softened. Place in a large bowl.
- While vegetables are grilling, bring a large pot of water with 1 tsp. salt to a boil. Cook pasta to al dente. Drain pasta and rinse with water. Drain well and add to bowl with grilled vegetables.
- In a medium bowl, combine lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, sugar, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and thyme. Gradually whisk in oil. Add basil.
- Pour dressing over pasta and vegetables. Add tomatoes and Parmesan cheese. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour for flavors to meld.
Cook's notes: This recipe caught my interest with the unusual ingredients paired with brats. I really liked it and makes good use of summer produce for the slaw.
Recipe adapted from BHGIngredients:
- 6 uncooked bratwurst links
- 1- 1/2 cups apple juice
- 3 cups shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 TB. light mayonnaise
- 1 TB. snipped fresh parsley
- 1TB. snipped fresh dill
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 6 bratwurst buns, split and toasted
- Make Cucumber-Blueberry Slaw - in a medium bowl combine cabbage, cucumber, blueberries, and green onion. In a small bowl stir together buttermilk, mayonnaise, parsley, dill, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add buttermilk mixture to cabbage mixture; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate several hours for flavors to meld.
- In a large saucepan combine bratwurst and apple juice; bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 12 minutes, rearranging once until sausage reach 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place bratwurst on grill rack directly over medium heat. Grill 5 to 7 minutes or until sausage is browned, turning occasionally.
- Serve bratwurst in toasted buns. Top with slaw.