Cook's notes:Looking for a taste of the tropics? Grilling fruits fits the bill. You can make a luscious grilled fruit sundae serving over a scoop of frozen yogurt. A sprinkling of cinnamon or allspice over grilled peaches or pineapple adds another dimension with its warm aromatic Caribbean flair.
Check out this link for several helpful tips on how to grill your favorite fruits.
Grilled Grape, Strawberry and Mango Skewers with Honey Orange Glaze
recipe serves 4 and a broiler may be used as an alternative to the grill.
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- 1 cup green grapes
- 1 cup red or black seedless grapes
- 1 mango cut into chunks
- 12 strawberries
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 TB. orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 TB. chopped mint
- Preheat grill for medium high heat.
- Skewer fruit.
- Prepare glaze by mixing honey,zest, juice, cinnamon and salt in a saucepan.Whisk and heat until boiling. Remove from heat.
- Both fruit skewers and glaze should be at room temperature.
- Grill until lightly browned on each side, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Brush fruit with glaze and sprinkle with mint. Serve warm.
Blackberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken SaladCook's notes: I must say this is a stunning looking salad from Kevin at closetcooking.com
A blackberry balsamic vinaigrette is used both to marinate the chicken and as the dressing for the salad! The salad is filled out with lettuce, avocado, nuts, onions and goat cheese along with the grilled chicken and of course plenty of fresh blackberries. Instead of simply sprinkling some crumbled goat cheese onto the salad, it is formed into patties, coated in breadcrumbs and fried until nice and golden brown and crispy on the outside and warm and melty on the inside! This is one tasty summer meal and on my list for weekend cooking.
Recipe can be found at
Peach Peeling Pointers
- Score ripe peaches with a paring knife by making an X on the pointed side of the fruit.
- Submerge the peaches in boiling water for 40-60 seconds longer if fruit is underripe.
- Dunk the peaches in an ice bath. Let cool completely.
- Remove the skin by gently pulling back or rubbing off the scored marks. The skin should slide off quickly and easily.
Just a pinch of salt (kosher or sea salt) can be your best summer seasoning. It will enhance the natural sweetness of ripe melons, strawberries, and pineapple. It reduces bitterness in underripe fruit.