An opportunity to speak about cooking, writing and blogging, three of my favorite things, was an invite extended by Anne. She belongs to a group called P.E.O.
( Philanthropic Educational Organization). I was asked to speak about my experiences as a food writer for the local newspaper, Pilot Independent, Walker MN to her group. It was gratifying to hear that many of the ladies have been following The Seasonal Plate.
I was asked to plan the luncheon menu based on some recipes previously posted in the paper. I did some advance prep by making the meal at home first before I sent Anne this picture below with attached recipes.Cook's Notes: All the recipes selected for the luncheon have been previously published on Ever Ready blog site and The Seasonal Plate.
Mango Chutney Chicken Salad
Orange Wild Rice Muffins
Blueberry Peach Salsa
Lemon Olive Cake
Some ideas covered in the presentation were
- Recipe sources e.g. magazines, cooking magazines, food blogs
- Cooking process listing the order of ingredients and directions
- Challenges of food photography
- Use of seasonal ingredients
- Adding a twist and a creative touch to a recipe
- Food blogging
- The 'why' of recipes selected for this particular lunch
- Suggestions on using spices in cooking including some of my favorites, Herbes de Provence and Saigon Cinnamon
- Buttermilk can often be a secret ingredient in recipes
I was impressed with questions from the group as well as suggestions for future columns and the fact several had cut out previous Seasonal Plate recipes to talk about.
Each one seemed to enjoy the meal prepared by hosts Anne and Ruth.
Anne and Ruth for preparing a wonderful summer lunch and the P.E. O. group for being so welcoming and attentive. It was inspiring to be surrounded by so many enthusiastic and seasoned cooks.