The mousse is served in small demitasse-like cups and makes 5-6 small servings. Recipe link below. Note I did not skip the champagne toast part :)
But this year I decided to change things up a bit by trying a recipe from this cookbook, a recent gift from daughter.
She requested the Guinness cake. I did make some adaptations. The suggested cream cheese frosting was waived by the group in favor for a bittersweet chocolate icing. The cake can be described as dark , moist and flavorful with the Guinness adding wonderful richness. The piece de resistance was the bittersweet chocolate icing. You don't need a March holiday to enjoy this cake.
Cook's Notes: I baked the cake in a 13 x 9 pan but using 2- 8 or 9 inch cake pans would work adjusting baking time by 10 minutes.
- 2 sticks of butter (1 cup)
- 1-1/4 cups Guinness at room temperature-measure beer not the foam
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar plus 2 TB. sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp.salt
- 1/2 tsp. Saigon cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- optional 1/2 tsp. espresso powder
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz. Bittersweet Chocolate or Dark Chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 TB. confectioners sugar
- 1 TB. Kahlua
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease baking pan.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in Guinness slowly, remove from heat and whisk in cocoa.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs,sugar, vanilla and buttermilk and slowly mix in Guinness mixture.
- Sift together flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and espresso powder.
- Slowly mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and keep beating until well combined.
- Pour mixture into baking pan and check at 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of cake if comes out clean cake is cooked.
- Cool cake on a wire rack.
- Bring the cream to a boil in a saucepan.
- Remove from heat and add in chocolate chips, vanilla, confectioners sugar and Kahlua.
- Whisk to mix well. Add more cream if needed. Pour over a cooled cake.
2017 on Ever Ready
Look for reinstated Healthy Friday recipes
More Gluten free Options