to your life with a fresh lemon dessert.
Lemon Pie Bars with Whipped Cream
Cook's notes: Fresh lemons brighten this dessert and the crunch of a cookie almond crust makes it irresistible. Coconut and almonds can be toasted ahead at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. A food processor works well for making cookie crumbs.
- 1/4 cup each toasted flaked coconut and almonds
- 2 cups finely ground vanilla wafers
- 2 TB. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 3-4 TB. melted butter
- 1- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 TB. heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 TB. powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 2 TB. powdered sugar, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8 by 8-inch baking dish.
- In a food processor add cookie crumbs, melted butter, granulated sugar, cinnamon, toasted coconut and almonds. Pulse a few times until mixture is evenly moistened. Press mixture into an even layer in prepared baking dish. Bake 8 minutes in preheated oven. Remove from oven and cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- To a large mixing bowl add, sweetened condensed milk, 1/4 cup + 2 TB. heavy cream, egg yolks, salt, lemon zest, lemon juice and beat mixture until well blended. Pour into cooled crust.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 28 minutes, or until edges appear set and middle still slightly jiggles. Cool at room temperature 1 hour, then cover and chill 3 - 4 hours, until set.
- Cut into bars and top each serving with whipped cream and grated lemon zest.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.