- Share stories and anecdotes about your mother.
- Wear your mother's favorite color -- piece of clothing, nail polish, etc.
- Remember your mother's best advice and wisest sayings, follow and share.
- Prepare your mother's favorite recipes, and keep her in your head and your heart as you are making the dishes and serving them.
- Write something -- a poem, a song, a recollection -- about your mother.
- Perform an act of kindness to honor your mother.
- Give to a charity in memory of your mother.
Mini Strawberry and Rhubarb Pies
Cook's Notes: This recipe comes from Taste of Home. It showcases some of spring's first strawberries and rhubarb. The sauce is superb and any extra left warm slightly and serve over ice cream. I did not have a biscuit cutter as suggested in recipe but went through my cupboards and found a bowl to use as a tracer. The sauce is enough for 8 mini pies. I did not use option of red food coloring as sauce seemed red enough to me.
One mini pie comes in at 155 calories certainly better that a regular slice of rhubarb strawberry pie but you be the judge to splurge with a dollop of ice cream or whip cream.
The recipe was adapted.
The recipe was adapted.
- 3 TB. quick-cooking tapioca
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground Saigon cinnamon
- 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large saucepan, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, orange peel, vanilla and almond extract, salt, cinnamon, tapioca and, if desired, food coloring; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until strawberries are tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled and slightly set.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to an 18 in. circle. Cut 12 circles with a 4-in biscuit cutter, rerolling scraps as necessary; press dough onto bottom and up sides of ungreased muffin cups. Repeat with remaining dough. Spoon strawberry-rhubarb mixture into muffin cups.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust golden brown. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool.
"Words with Wings"