A box of Uncle Bens Brown Rice and Quinoa was used for this recipe. Brown or Spanish uncooked rice can be substituted for this product but the following seasonings would then be used in place of the seasoning packet in the box-1/2 tsp. chili powder, 1/4 tsp. cumin, 1/4 tsp. oregano. Left over corn from the can use for cornbread. Pair the meal with a small salad or fresh fruit.
Tex-Mex Beef and Rice Casserole
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 box Uncle Bens brown Rice and Quinoa including seasoning packet
- 1-1/2 TB. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup sweet mini red and yellow sweet peppers, diced
- 1 cup steam fresh canned Mexi-corn kernels, drained
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-10 oz. can medium flavor red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (10 oz.) mild Rotel diced tomatoes with chiles or 1 can (14.5 oz.) fire roasted salsa style tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1-1/2 cups shredded fat reduced Mexican 4 cheeses blend
- optional 2 TB. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- optional 1-1/2 cups crushed corn chips
- Heat olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium high heat. Add beef, onion, garlic, and bell peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Wipe pan clean of grease.
- Stir in uncooked rice, seasoning packet, corn, black beans, enchilada sauce, salsa style tomatoes or diced tomatoes, chicken broth, sugar and 1 cup of cheese. Mix well.
- Heat covered on low heat 25 minutes. Stir a few times. Add in last 1/2 cup cheese and cook 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat. Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro and crushed chips.
Happy Cinco de Mayo Day