A recent canoe ride from one lake to another lake under the bridge was a photographer's dream. Here I discovered an abundance of water lilies in full bloom. The sea of lily pads reminded me of the French Impressionist Claude Monet's Water Lilies.
Depending on the light and angle the color contrasts were amazing with the ever changing hues of greens and blues.
Though water lilies look as if they are sprouting from the water, they are actually floating on top of the water, with their roots tethered deep into the water-logged soil at the bottom of the lake or pond. The lily pad beneath the flowers is the leaf of the water lily plant.
The water lily is repeatedly used in the oil paintings of French Impressionist Claude Monet (1840-1926). His water lily series of 250 oil paintings are some of his most masterful works.
The water lily paintings were inspired by Monet's flower garden at Giverny.
This photo below I took is one of Monet's massive murals Nympheas (Water Lilies) displayed in Paris at the Musee de l'Orangerie.
Water Lilies 1916
"I had planted them for the pleasure of it;
I grew them without ever thinking of painting them. ”
Recipe inspiration iowagirleats.com
This dessert merits attention for your summer entertaining. Here is why the recipe works.
1. It's easy to put together with only three ingredients: Hershey candy bars, graham cracker shells and mini marshmallows.
2. It's a summer crowd pleaser and good alternative to a having a campfire.
3. It's not messy as you eat from the foil container.
4. And it has the same great taste as a campfire S'more
5. They are the perfect treat for kids and kids at heart.
- Preheat oven to 375 and bake graham cracker pie shells for 4 minutes.
- While shells are still warm and on cookie sheet place 4 pieces of chocolate in each shell. Let chocolate set a few minutes to melt.
- Adjust rack one level above middle rack and set oven to broil.
- Place 3 regular size marshmallows or a handful of mini marshmallows on top of the chocolate.
- Brown marshmallows on broil-about 1 minute
- In microwave melt one whole chocolate bar, stir to blend and drizzle over top of broiled marshmallows.
- Serve foil S'more Pies immediately.