Polenta is a versatile alternative to pasta, bread or rice ,and is especially suited to meat dishes that have plenty of sauce. It is a paste or dough made from cornmeal. It can be made from scratch or packaged. I found this roll in the specialty food aisle. It is a very convenient product pre-cooked and ready to heat and serve. Polenta in northern Italy is as popular as pasta in the south. It is fat free /gluten fee.
Recipe adapted from BHG
- 3 cups polenta, cut into cubes
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups cubed, peeled butternut squash or yellow summer squash
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 cup red onion chopped
- 2 TB.olive oil
- 2 TB. honey
- 1/2 tsp. each dried thyme, parsley and rosemary or 1 TB. each fresh rosemary, thyme and parsley
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 lb. uncooked mild Italian sausage links, each link cut into thirds
- Optional dried cranberries 3/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone pad.
- In a bowl combine polenta, mushrooms, onions, peppers and squash. Drizzle with oil, honey, herbs, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread out on sheet.
- Prick each sausage a few times with a fork. Place in pan with vegetables.
- Roast 30 minutes or until sausages are done, stirring once. If desired, top with additional rosemary. Add dried cranberries last 10 minutes of cooking time.
Sheet Pan Cooking Tips
Be sure to spread the ingredients in a single layer to get the best browning. If they're too close together food will steam rather than brown.
Some other sheet pan roasted meals from Ever Ready