SEASONAL PLATE ( Pilot Independent Food Column)Great fall flavors that come together in a one pan chicken recipe. It brims with flavor and is loaded with seasonal veggies and sweet apple pieces.
One Pan Autumn Chicken Dinner
Cook's Notes: Some advance planning makes this meal preparation easier. Marinating the chicken in buttermilk one to two hours ahead tenderizes the meat. Precut butternut squash found in the produce department can cut down the chopping time. Chicken needs to cook longer than the veggies so give it a 30 minute head start.
Recipe serves 4 and adapted from cookingclassy.com
- 4 bone-in, chicken thighs
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. each rosemary, thyme and parsley
- Salt to taste
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, cut off bottom and slice lengthwise, remove outer leaves
- 2 medium apples, cored and sliced into half moon about 3/4 inch thick
- 2 cups red onions, chunks
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 TB. each maple syrup and olive oil
- 1 tsp. Saigon cinnamon
- Optional: chopped parsley, for garnish
- Place chicken pieces and buttermilk in a ziploc bag. Place bag in a bowl and refrigerate 1-2 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix rosemary, thyme and parsley in a small bowl. Drain chicken in a colander. Line a baking sheet with a silicone pad or parchment paper. Arrange chicken pieces on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and spices.
- Cover pan with foil and bake 30 minutes. Wipe off any grease on baking sheet.
- In a bowl mix maple syrup, olive oil and cinnamon. Add squash, sweet potato cubes, apples and Brussels sprouts and coat with oil mixture.
- Turn oven up to 400 degrees. Arrange veggies, apples and onion chunks around the chicken pieces. Roast for 35 minutes or until chicken, apples and veggies are cooked tender.