Cook’s Notes: 1 puff pastry sheet makes 12 and you will need 6 slices of deli ham cut in half. If using thin spears 2 can be wrapped in puff pastry.
Remember Hearts Puff Pastry?http://sockfairies.blogspot.com/search?q=+puff+pastry+hearts
Since I had pastry sheets thawed I applied the same principle using a shamrock cookie cutter. Imagine the possibilities with so many different cookie cutters!
- 1 bunch of asparagus-spears with thin stalks
- 6-12 thin slices of deli maple ham
- Soft cheese e.g. Havarti cut ½ x 2 inch pieces
- Dijon mustard
- 1 box thawed Puff Pastry sheets makes 24 or 1 sheet makes 12 asparagus puff pastry.
- Egg wash
- Sesame seeds
- Grated Parmesan cheese or a spice called Garlic Bread Sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wrap 1-2 asparagus spears with ½ slice maple ham.
- Using a pastry wheel cut pastry sheet into thirds vertically, then into fourths horizontally making a total of 12 pieces. Brush each pastry sheet with the Dijon mustard. Lay asparagus wrapped ham spear in middle of pastry sheet.
- Add piece of cheese on the asparagus and wrap the asparagus/ham spear in the pastry stretching to make sides join together. Leave asparagus tips exposed.
- Place asparagus bundles seam side down on parchment paper.
- Brush pastry with an egg wash. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese or a spice; Garlic Bread Sprinkles.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until puffy and golden brown.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
-Leonardo Da Vinci
The Desert in Bloom
With record high temperatures the desert landscape is exploding with color and fragrance ushering in an early spring.