Magic Cookie Bars
They're easy to make and always a hit no matter the age. So what are Magic Bars? The name really says it all. Magic bars are a rich, delicious dessert bar with a buttery graham cracker crust and layers of chocolate, butterscotch, pecans, coconut, and sweetened condensed milk to make everything gooey and extra sweet.
These company-worthy bars are perfect to take to a potluck, party, picnic, or to make for your family. I believe in magic! Do you? You will after one bite:) basically, dessert heaven with these bars.
Monday, May 23, 2022
Magic Cookie Bars
Saturday, May 21, 2022
Looking for some red, white, and blue Memorial Day and 4th of July ideas? Be sure to check out this site https://playdatesparties.com/category/holidays/july-4th/Dessert Tacos
Ever Ready Italian Special
A hearty comfort dish perfect for your weekend cooking no matter what the weather. 3 Cheese Tortellini with an Italian red sauce sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. Pair the dish with cornbread or artisan-type bread.
- 1 package (20.2 oz.) Buitoni Tortellini
- 1 jar Marinara sauce (24.5) use a good quality one
- 2 cans each (14.5) Basil, Garlic, Oregano Diced Tomatoes
- 1 lb. ground Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1-2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (add to taste preference)
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (optional but highly suggested)
- Optional adding in 3-4 cups torn spinach leaves (stems removed) last 10 minutes of cooking time
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a soup pot add Marinara sauce, crushed tomatoes, spices, and sugar. Mix well and simmer on low for 1-1/2 hours. Halfway through cooking time add in the crumbled sausage.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- To serve. cook tortellini al dente, drain and serve with red sauce.
- Grate Parmesan cheese over the top.
Thursday, May 19, 2022
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups cooked pasta al dente (about 1-3/4 cups dry pasta)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup diced mozzarella cheese or white cheddar cheese
- 2 large scallions, diced or 1/3 cup diced sweet or red onions
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 cups torn baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds or packaged candied walnuts (produce section)
- 2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar, good quality
Tuesday, May 17, 2022
Some of spring's finest Rhubarb and Strawberries
Rhubarb's tart flavor goes perfectly with the sweetness of strawberries. When cooked together, strawberry and rhubarb meet in the middle, somewhere between soft and sturdy, for a texture that works wonderfully in everything from pies to crisps to crumbles. The combined flavors also make a delicious ice cream topping and for baking cakes, pies and muffins.
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Saigon cinnamon or 1 teaspoon regular ground cinnamon
- 2 drops of red food coloring, optional
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large saucepan, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, orange peel, vanilla and almond extract, salt, cinnamon, tapioca, and, if desired, food coloring; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until strawberries are tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled and slightly set.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of the dough to an 18 in. circle. Cut 12 circles with a 4-in biscuit cutter, rerolling scraps as necessary; press dough onto the bottom and up sides of ungreased muffin cups. Repeat with remaining dough. Spoon strawberry-rhubarb mixture into muffin cups.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust golden brown. Cool in pan for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool.
Sunday, May 15, 2022
IT'S A REGIONAL THING
But in the Southwest when the metrologists talk incessantly about Ice Break, it means an accurate prediction when the first day of a new year the temperature soars to 100 or more.
- Cottage cheese
- Grape tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Diced cucumbers
- Good quality dark balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the desired amount of grape tomatoes on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Start with cottage cheese on the bottom, add cucumbers, and tomatoes, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Saturday, May 14, 2022
Spring Vegetables and Walleye Baked in Parchment Paper.The French call it "en papillote," the Italians "al cartoccio," but in America, we simply call it cooking in parchment. This recipe serves 2 but ingredients can easily be increased. Be creative using a variety of spring vegetables. Any fish favorite can be substituted for the walleye. Light-bodied wines pair better with lighter foods. Best recommendations include Dry Riesling, Chardonnay, Semillon, or Pinot Grigio. Recipe adapted from Southern Living May 2015
- ½ lb. fresh asparagus
- ½ cup mini sweet peppers, diced
- ¾ cup onion rings
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 baby red potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, Tuscan Herb Olive Oil, Organic Basil or Garlic Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon each parsley, thyme and Rosemary or ¾ teaspoon herbs de Provence
- 4 walleye fillets or another favorite fish
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Juice from ½ lemon
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- For each packet use a 15 x 15 parchment sheet. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut off woody ends of asparagus. In a large bowl add asparagus, peppers, onions, garlic, potatoes and carrots. Sprinkle veggies with spices.
- Toss veggies with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Divide the mixture between two parchment sheets and center in the middle of the sheet.
- Top veggies with fish fillets. Sprinkle with additional parsley flakes, and dot each packet with 1 TB. butter and juice squeezed from a lemon half. Salt and pepper fish fillets.
- Bring 2 sides of parchment paper to the center, fold them together and press down. Twist ends. Use a little water to moisten the paper so it sticks together better.
- Place packets on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes. Open a small section of the centerfold of packets to check on potatoes and carrots. Return to the oven if more cooking time is needed. If grilling check at 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Thursday, May 12, 2022
Wild Rice with Sausage and Potato Casserole
- 4 cups diced red potatoes, 1-inch cubes
- 2-1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 cups cooked sweet Italian Sausage, drained, and crumbled (about 1-1/2 lbs.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup of each red and green pepper, diced
- 1-1/2 cups sweet onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Bring water to a boil, add potatoes and cook 12 minutes until fork tender but not mushy, drain.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Sauté diced peppers and onions for about 3 minutes. Add in garlic, and sauté 1 minute longer. Add in cooked potatoes, cooked sausage, spices, wild rice, and 1-1/2 cups of cheese. Mix well and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Use a blender and combine eggs. dry mustard, spices, and milk.
- Grease a 13 x 9 pan. Place the sausage/potato mixture on the bottom of the pan. Pour egg/milk mixture evenly over the sausage mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake the dish uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until eggs are set. Let rest 5 minutes before cutting.
- 2 cups cherries pitted and halved or substitute frozen pitted dark cherries
- 2 tablespoons prepared lite Balsamic Dressing or 1-2 tablespoons dark balsamic vinegar (use good quality)
- 3/4 cup prepackaged candied walnuts or pecans
- 8-10 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 pint of blueberries, rinsed and patted dry on a paper towel
- 2 cups sliced cucumbers
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- Prepared Lite Balsamic Dressing to finish off the salad or make your own balsamic dressing
- Place the pitted cherries in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of balsamic dressing or 1-2 tablespoons dark balsamic vinegar to cherries and toss well.
- Place cherries on a grill pan or tray, grill until tender, about 5 minutes. Use a spatula to occasionally turn cherries.
- Cherries can also be roasted in the oven at 400 degrees for 8 minutes on a parchment-lined rimmed sheet.
- Place roasted cherries on a paper towel. In a large bowl, add greens, grilled/roasted cherries, blueberries, goat cheese, red onion, sliced cucumbers, and candied walnuts. Drizzle with prepared balsamic dressing and serve immediately.
Magic Cookie Bars They're easy to make and always a hit no matter the age. So what are Magic Bars? The name really says it all. Magic ...
A great Pinterest find just in time for holiday gift giving. Check out local hardware or dollar store for dust pans. Dustpan Cookies ...
"Walking Taco” or “Taco-in-a-Bag” are not really tacos, but are Midwest names for the Texas dish called "Frito Pie". A bag...
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. C.S. Lewis Under certain circumstances there are a few hours i...