"It's impossible," said pride.
"It's risky, " said experience.
"It's pointless," said reason.The dish is light, fresh and perfect for a late spring meal. Pair the meal with fresh fruit and a salad. Recipe adapted from Real Food Publication Summer 2019 and makes 4 lettuce wraps.
- 1 TB. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 cup sweet mini- peppers (red, yellow and orange), diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup sweet onions, diced
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 TB. soy sauce
- 1 TB. rice wine vinegar
- 1 TB. brown sugar
- 1 TB.grated fresh ginger
- 1-2 tsp. Sriracha
- 1 (8 0z. can) water chestnuts, drained and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, diced in small pieces (look for a small container in produce)
- 1/3 cup water or pineapple juice
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts or roasted cashews
- In a large fry pan heat oil over medium heat. Add ground chicken, sweet onions, peppers and garlic. Cook until browned 5-8 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Wipe pan clean of excess fat with paper towels, moving chicken from side to side in the pan until it is cleaned.
- Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, wine vinegar, ginger, Sriracha, pineapple and water or pineapple juice. brown sugar and water chestnuts. Cook on medium low for 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- To serve place 1/2 cup Hawaiian chicken filling on one butter leaf lettuce, top with green onions if desired and chopped peanuts or cashews.