January and February are a bit confused. It seems one day they must have decided to take each other's place. So now it is winter January here when it should be February. The temperature mid morning was 45 degrees and in Longville, MN (up north) it was 43 degrees. There was snow on the Santa Rita mountains (pictured here) and in Tucson on Mt. Lemmon they had 6 inches. I liked the contrasting elements of this photo with a palm tree and a snowy background.
Spinach Almond Rice with Artichokes
Cook's Notes: A delicious side packed with flavorful and healthy ingredients. It's a rice dish that can be paired with any main meat entree. Substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth for a vegetarian pilaf.
Recipe adapted from Food Network Magazine September 2017.
Recently I discovered this great seasoning that's full of flavor, no MSG or salt and can be used on almost everything.
- 1-1/2 cups dry basmati rice
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves torn with stems removed
- 3/4 cup marinated artichokes, drained and patted dry with a paper towel
- 1/3 cup fresh dill or 1 TB. dried dill
- 1 TB. lemon zest
- 1 TB. lemon juice
- 2 TB. olive oil or lemon olive oil
- 1 tsp. Garlic Herb Seasoning
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- Garnish with fresh dill or mint
- In a large saucepan bring water, salt and broth to a boil. Add in rice, cover and simmer over low heat until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork and add in rest of ingredients. Taste test before adding in salt and pepper. Serve immediately.