Ester Howland was an American printer and artist and the first one to produce valentines in the U.S.in 1850. From that day on the valentine greeting cards business has taken off.
Valentine's Day is big business for greeting cards and candy sales. An all time high in 2016 with 19.7 billion spent. The following figures were staggering
- In the US 10 million e-valentines
- 145 million valentines sent in US with the holiday second to Christmas cards
- World-wide some 1 billion cards are sent
- World-wide 5 billion roses are given on Valentine's Day
- 73% of people who buy flowers are men
- 15% women send flowers to themselves
- 35 million heart shaped boxes of chocolate sold
- Over 1 billion worth of chocolate sold for Valentine's Day
And Ever Ready was busy making a Valentine dessert to share with you
- 8-9 Oreo cookies, whole do not separate layers
- 1-8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 3-4 TB jarred cherry fruit sauce
- Garnish-crumbled almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with paper liners. Place an Oreo cookie in bottom of each paper liner.
- In a bowl add cream cheese, egg, extract, sugar and beat on high until smooth. About 4 minutes.
- Add in 3-4 tablespoons of cherry sauce, stir by hand to combine. Fill paper liners 3/4 full.
- Bake 25 minutes. When done the mini cheesecakes will be domed, puffy and a little bit jiggly in the center. They will fall and firm up as they cool.
- After they have cooled peel away the paper and refrigerate until serving. Add the cherry topping just prior to serving. Sprinkle almonds on top.