The year is going, let him go / Ring out the false, ring in the true."
English poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Cook’s notes: Toast the New Year with this rich, decadent and oh, so good dessert and a bubbly glass of champagne. Serve the mousse in small demitasse-like cups. Add a plate of cookies and you are ready to ring in 2016. Makes 5-6 small servings.
- ¾ cup chilled heavy cream
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- ¼ cup strong coffee or espresso at room temperature
- dash of salt
- 3 tsp. sugar, divided
- 1/8 tsp. crème of tartar
- 8 oz. of good quality semi-sweet chocolate chopped or bittersweet chocolate (61-72% cacao)
- 2-3 TB. Kahlua or Amaretto
- Separate yolks and whites.
- Beat 3/4 cup whipping cream and refrigerate.
- Combine egg yolks, coffee or espresso, salt and 2 tsp. sugar in a metal bowl.
- Whisk ingredients and set bowl in a larger pan of simmering water.
- Whisk constantly until mixture is lighter in color and has doubled in volume about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove bowl from water and stir in chopped chocolate pieces. Whisk until chocolate is blended into egg mixture.
- Add in Kahlua or Amaretto, mix well and cool to room temperature.
- Beat egg whites in another bowl with crème of tartar and remaining 1 tsp. sugar. Beat until firm peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into whipped cream mixture.
- Fold egg whites/whip cream mixtures into chocolate/egg mixture.
- Spoon into serving cups. Top with crushed almonds or toasted coconut.
- Refrigerate until serving.