Reindeer Food Bar
Taco Bar serving your favorite toppings with hard or soft shells
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 bottle sparkling wine, such as Prosecco, Asti Spumante, or brut champagne, chilled
- In a bowl place pomegranate seeds and enough brandy to cover. Cover; let stand at room temperature for 4 hours and drain.
- For each Sparkler, pour 5 oz. sparkling wine into a champagne glass. Add a few brandied seeds. Makes 5 servings.
- 2 inches stick cinnamon, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 4 whole cloves
- 1- 32 oz. bottle cranberry juice (4 cups)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 750 milliliter bottle white Zinfandel or dry white wine
- For spice bag, cut a double thickness of 100%-cotton cheesecloth into a 6-inch square. Place cinnamon and cloves in center of cheesecloth square. Bring up corners of cheesecloth and tie closed with clean 100%-cotton kitchen string.
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine spice bag, cranberry juice, and brown sugar.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours or on high-heat setting for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove spice bag.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir wine into mixture in cooker. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more.
- Serve immediately or cover and keep warm on warm setting or low-heat setting for up to 2 hours. Stir occasionally.
For each drink combine 1 oz. cranberry juice and 1/2 oz. creme de cassis in a flute type glass. Add a cranberry and top with champagne.
Oh, Deer, Cheese Rudolphs
Cook’s note: A super fun easy appetizer from Laughing Cow that’s kid friendly too. Note there are similar products that can be used besides Laughing Cow wedges.
Ingredients: For each reindeer you will need a cheese wedge, 2 twisted pretzels for the antlers, a small piece of olive for the nose and 2 peppercorns for the eyes.
- Place one pretzel on either side of the cheese wedge.
- Add peppercorns for the eyes and small piece of olive for the nose.
Ingredients: You will need one container prepared guacamole (12 oz.) mixed with ¼ cup light sour cream, pita bread, an assorted package of red, green and yellow sweet mini peppers, pretzel sticks.
- Cut out triangle shapes for the Christmas trees. Spread each tree with the guacamole/sour cream mixture.
- Use 3 different colors of small pepper pieces to decorate the tree. A star can be cut out of a yellow pepper.
Cook’s note: Turn frozen puff pastry into a batch of cheese straws. This recipe makes 36 five-inch straws. You can make ahead, refrigerate and then bake.
Ingredients: You will need 1 box frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed but still cold, flour for dusting, 1 large egg, 1-1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar, white cheddar or Gruyere cheese, ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, Kosher salt and pepper.
- Unfold the pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Beat the egg with 1 TB. water and brush both pastry sheets. Reserve remaining egg wash.
- Combine both cheeses with ¼ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper.
- Sprinkle cheese mixture over 1 pastry sheet. Cover this with second pastry sheet placing the egg washed surface onto the cheese. Line up edges and lightly dust pastry with flour. Roll out to a 10 x 12 rectangle.
- Line a rimmed sheet with parchment paper. Carefully move pastry onto parchment paper. Cut puff pastry rectangle in half lengthwise then cut each half crosswise into 18 strips.
- Twist each strip a few times and arrange on baking sheet. Brush with remaining egg wash. Sprinkle with mixed herbs e.g. rosemary, thyme, parsley flakes and grate more Parmesan cheese on top.
- Refrigerate at least 20 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Bake 375 degrees about 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and serve immediately.
Ingredients: For 1 drink you will need ½ cup coffee flavored ice cream, 1 oz. vodka, 1 oz. coffee liqueur, ½ oz. crème de cacao, ½ cup crushed ice, optional chocolate-covered coffee beans
- Crush ice in blender. Add to ice cream, vodka, coffee liqueur. cream de cacao.
- Blend until smooth.
- Garnish with coarsely chopped chocolate covered coffee beans.