As I was contemplating several possibilities on how to spend my time on such a beautiful fall afternoon, my thoughts were interrupted by this energized Viking fan. And it was at this very moment I wished for my camera.
As I was in line to pay for gas when this petite elderly lady with perfectly white coiffured hair descended on the scene. I could see by her attire that she was a dedicated Viking fan. I marvelled over the white sweats topped with a Viking jersey, stylish purple coat, multi-colored beads and the fact her nails were awesome shade of purple. What she seemed most proud about was her new snappy accessory:a quilted handbag with the Viking logo on it. She also showed off her jeweled whistle necklace and told us how it gets blown whenever the Vikings score during the game. But I was puzzled??? What was she doing here at a gas station during the Vikings game? She assured me it was halftime and was feeling so lucky since the game was going well decided a purchase of lottery tickets was in order. I burst out laughing with her parting remark to me and the lady at the cash register... You know girls just gotta have some fun! And that's just what I am doing to today! And with a wave to us both, she seemed to practically bounce right out the door and into her car!
So I hope you were able to put some fun in your day enjoying this wonderful Fall weather. And just maybe you even had a bit of luck.
Did you know the moon had a very long evening last night? It was still brightly shinning in the wee hours of morning.
With weather like this I imagine the following light salad will be a good spillover from summer as you continue to enjoy outdoor dining.
Black Bean Corn Salad
- 3 ears of fresh corn or 1-1/2 cup frozen corn thawed
- 3 pieces of grilled chicken-sliced
- 1 can black beans drained
- 4 tomatoes in chunks
- 1 avocado in chunks
- slices of red onion
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- optional: jalapeno pepper and 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 TB. fresh lime juice
- 1 TB. fresh lemon juice
- 2 TB. rounded sugar or could use honey as a healthier choice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
Note: Use sparingly chili powder and cumin
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and set aside
- Make dressing in blender and toss with chicken ingredients
- Refrigerate for several hours till chilled
- Place dressing/meat mixture over chopped Romaine lettuce
- Serve fat free tortilla chips on side or lime chips
- Add salsa on the side
- Sprinkle with low fat cheese