I did uncover information, via the Internet, that Wabi Sabi means the art of finding beauty in imperfection, profundity in nature and an acceptance of the natural cycle of growth, decay and death.
Wabi means harmony, peace, tranquillity and a balance that is in tune with nature.
Sabi means to grow old, taking pleasure in those things that are weathered and faded. Paying attention to beauty that comes with age. True sabi cannot be acquired, it is a gift of time.
Wabi Sabi's roots lie in Zen Buddhism. This phrase has also been been associated with names of restaurants, furniture, a type of house design and jewelry.
In home decor, Wabi Sabi inspires minimalism so that our possessions are pared down until we have only those things left that are necessary for their beauty and utility or letting go of excess.
So my take on all of this is perhaps we can take a second look at the things that surround us. Maybe ask ourselves can we pare down some of the excess? And do we need to make changes in the way we buy? Can we reuse or redefine what we already have?
Wabi Sabi is something to stop and think about!
And my last thought, as the season changes to Fall, find some places to explore that will add peace and tranquility to your life.
Let you life
on the edges of time
like dew on the
tip of a leaf
In keeping with minimalist philosophy...less is more
Raspberry Chicken Salad
- 2 grilled chicken breasts
- 1 large bag prepared mixed greens
- prepared bottle Newman's own Light Raspberry & Walnut salad dressing
- 1/2 cantaloupe sliced in thin slices
- 1/2 cup green onions
- cucumber slices
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- sea salt and pepper
- optional avocado slices
- Grill chicken breasts, let stand for 5 minutes before slicing into strips
- Season meat with salt and pepper
- On each serving plate place greens, cucumber slices and sprinkle green onions over lettuce mixture and lightly toss with dressing mix
- Arrange cantaloupe slices on side of lettuce mixture
- Place sliced chicken strips on lettuce and sprinkle with almonds
- Add fresh raspberries on top