Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The World According To Bella



written by Bella, the blogging lab
No doubt you have been wondering what recent adventures I have been up to; well wonder no more. I have been keeping quite busy on yard and lake patrol. After my high speed chase to capture a bunny who invaded my space I have been spending more of my energies on water patrol. It all started with this species called turtle. Now not knowing what it was certainly made me very curious who this creature was up to in my driveway. Perhaps I shouldn't have gotten so close when this thing they called turtle had some nerve and attempted to nip at my nose. I backed off and began to call in for some extra help by insistent barking. Thankfully, one of my people got the hint and came to my rescue. The turtle was then deposited into the water and that should be the end of my story. But it wasn't!
I spent quite some time pacing the dock peering into the water hoping to see it resurface. I did see several fish swim by but no turtle. Getting a bit bored I decided to wait it out sitting in a grassy area nearby. Soon a mother duck with several babies came into view and I seized my chance. Dove into the water at record speed. Well all that the squawking, quacking, tufts of feathers flying in the air sent the family furiously out into deeper water. Doing my best dog paddle I swam but soon tired since they were out of my paw's reach. This did not seem fair!
So I dog paddled back to shore and decided to continue my vigil but this time on the dock. My determination finally paid off. Seeing several tiny fish swim by I seized my chance again jumped into the shallow water and BINGO gulped that little fish right down. Finally my water patrol duty had paid off!!!
Remember my beach adventures in Florida? I can be fast when I need to be.

Be yourself,
everyone else is taken.
by Oscar Wilde
________________________________________________________

Recently I came across this link: The Splendid Table. It is public radio's culinary, culture and life style link that features recipes, episodes you can download, wine tips and even a store for online shopping. The following blog came to me online with a recipe that I thought looked quite good AND best part requires no stove to heat up the kitchen.

Weeknight Kitchen®: Inspiration for Real Midweek Meals from The Splendid Table™
Recipe: Santa Fe Summer Pot with Avocado and Shrimp
August 3, 2011
Copyright © 2011 Lynne Rossetto Kasper. All Rights Reserved

Dear Friends,

We all keep making certain recipes because they speak to us in special ways. This, for me, is summer in New Mexico. Cool, and hot, and primal. The food's intense there so you have flashy colors and vivid, raw tastes, smooth and crunchy.
On the pragmatic side, it's a cool stew you do with what you pick up at the market on the way home from work. And you never need turn on the stove.

Have a great week. Stay cool.

Lynne

Santa Fe Summer Pot with Avocado and Shrimp
From The Splendid Table's® How to Eat Supper: Recipes, Stories and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show by Lynne Rossetto Kasper and Sally Swift
(Clarkson Potter Publishers, 2008). Copyright © 2008 by American Public Media.

Serves 4

10 minutes prep time; no stove time
This can wait, chilled, for 30 to 40 minutes

1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1/2 teaspoon spice: blend of ground coriander, ground cumin, and freshly ground black pepper
1-1/2 pounds ripe delicious tomatoes, coarsely chopped (do not peel); or one 28-ounce
can whole peeled tomatoes
2 sprigs fresh coriander
1 small cucumber, peeled and diced
1 ripe avocado, diced
1 pound cooked, peeled shrimp, or firm tofu or leftover poultry (organic if possible,
diced)
Handful tortilla chips, lightly crushed
2 limes, each cut into 8 wedges

1. In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, onion, garlic, jalapeño, and spice blend. Let marinate for 10 minutes.

2. Place the tomatoes and coriander sprigs into the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until the mixture is chunky. Add the onion mixture, and pulse five times.

3. Divide the cucumber, avocado, and shrimp among four bowls. Spoon the tomato blend into the bowls. Garnish with the crushed tortilla chips and lime wedges.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Meatless Monday

  Asparagus -One of Spring's First  Salmon, Asparagus, and Orzo Salad with a Lemon Herb Vinaigrette Cook's Notes : A fresh, healthy,...