Minnehaha Falls, Minneapolis, MN
In June a surge of water cascading from Minnehaha Falls captivated the attention of those living in the Twin Cities area. Remember we had copious amounts of rainfall that month. A daring kayaker rode the water surge of 53 feet and lived to tell about it. Here is a link to a youtube video recording the event in case you missed seeing it.
A recent visit showed the falls had been noticeably tamed.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Cook's notes: This recipe can be prepared in a slow cooker or on a stove top. If using a slow cooker HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8 hours. If using stove top LOW for 50-60 minutes. The traditional recipe does not call for rice but I added 3/4 cup uncooked rice to give the soup more substance. I used prepared tortilla chips (strips) rather than making my own.
The soup turns up the heat with a bit of a kick to it with loads of flavor using Mexican salsa, cumin and chili powder.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into large pieces
- 1 (15 oz.) can chunky tomatoes (basil, garlic, onion)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 banana pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 (14.24 oz.) cans of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (7.76 oz.) Mexican salsa
- 1/4 tsp.each cumin, chili powder and salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 TB.fresh cilantro,minced
- In a non-stick skillet saute garlic and onion in 1 TB olive oil
- Add in chicken pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- In a slow cooker or large pan add in precooked chicken, onion, garlic and rest of ingredients.
- Cook stove top 50-60 minutes on low or slow cooker on HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6 hours.
- 7 small corn tortillas
- vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400
- Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil.
- Cut into strips and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake until crisp about 10 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup.