Doesn't every grandmother have a beloved version in her repertoire? Some oatmeal cookies have raisins and others chocolate chips. But this recipe gets a makeover with the additions of toasted coconut and pecans and butterscotch chips. It's a no-fuss recipe.
that regular old-fashioned oats are better for cookie recipes because they aren't as fine as quick oats, so they hold up better? Instant oats are pressed thin which help them cook faster but they dissolve when baked in cookies.
Oatmeal Butterscotch Coconut Cookies
Use a #40 cookie scoop for portioning dough or measure about 1-1/2 tablespoons.
Dough can be made ahead wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and stored in freezer for up to a month. Thaw dough in refrigerator before baking cookies as directed. Cooking tips: Keep dough chilled in between each batch and use a new sheet of parchment paper for each batch.
Recipe from Cuisine at Home December 2014 makes 3 dozen cookies.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp.salt
- 1 stick of butter and 1 stick of margarine or 2 sticks of butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 3/4 -1 cup butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix coconut and pecans together, spread out evenly on baking sheet.
- Toast about 8 minutes, stir frequently so coconut doesn't over brown. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Cream butter/margarine, brown sugar and granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy 3-4 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla to creamed mixture and blend on low speed until well blended. Add half of the flour mixture beat just until ingredients are combined. Add remaining flour, beating only until flour is incorporated.
- With a wooden spoon fold in oats, toasted coconut and pecan and butterscotch chips. Cover and chill dough in freezer about 45 minutes.
- Drop mounds of dough on parchment line baking sheet. Bake until golden about 9 minutes.
- Cool on sheet a few minutes and transfer over to a wire rack.