Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Saturday, January 24, 2015

The World According to Bella

Woodland and Lake Buffet

I love buffets especially the All You Can Eat ones. They're quick, tasty and plentiful. Sometimes I dream about the seafood buffet I found last year on the beach. 

I have annoyed Mr. C. I guess I was a bit out of control so now I'm back on leash and wearing my E-Collar after grazing on the Woodland and Lake Buffet.  
We are at the lake for one last visit before heading out West. I can't wait. I love road trips and going new places. I'm ready and almost packed. I just hope Mrs. S doesn't really expect me to wear this silly hat which I can't even keep on straight.   
So I was really looking forward to this trip up north exploring the vast open spaces out on the frozen lake.  Just as the van door opened, I took a flying leap. My senses had kicked in and I was in overdrive. 
Where to go first. I bounded down the hill at a breathtaking speed heading for the lake. Several icehouses needed closer inspection. I was not disappointed. Leftover fish skins were scattered about. I had to be quick since Mr. C was close behind screaming "Drop it! Bella, Drop it" But the wind blew his words away. I dug in. But not for long as Mr.C caught up with me, yanked me by the collar, made me drop the fish head clenched in my jaws. He dragged me back up the hill and spoiled my lake feast. I wished I had been quicker but knew I'd be back .    
Mr. C's idea for an afternnoon walk on the road along the edge of the woods raised my spirits. Now this walk proved to be a woodland buffet, not to be missed.  Animal parts, garbage, bones, fish heads and scales, venison parts and even part of a pineapple kept me busy snacking all the way. It wasn't easy ignoring Mr.C's yelling. He was trying to ruin my fun. I must have overdone the snacking part as later on I got a bad tummy ache. I kept Mr. C and Mrs. S busy. I was sick all night long. 
The next day Mrs. S cheered me up by reading a funny news story about a dog named Eclipse. I admired how smart this lab was to figure out the Seattle transit system, ride solo and reach the dog park before his owner. In case you missed the story check it out.    
  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/13/seattle-dog-rides-bus-public-transit-park-black-lab_n_6463364.html
Mrs. S found a funny poem to go with the news story. 
Across the Park
by Francesco Marciuliano
from book "I Could Chew on This and Other Poems by Dogs."
I ran all the way across the park
I ran as fast as I could
I ran right into bird poop
Which is in no way as good as dog poop
And I looked and looked and looked for it
I started doubting my abilities
I started questioning my sanity
I started seeing if the bird poop tasted any good
I even thought a squirrel must have taken it 
Which is why I chased them all for half an hour 
And then I came all the way back across the park
Panting and wheezing and pelted with nuts 
Only to find you PRETENDED to throw the ball?!
_____________________________________________________

Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry
adapted from dammdelicious.com
Cook's notes: Asparagus can be substituted for broccoli.
Ingredients:

  • 1 TB. Blood Orange Olive Oil or extra light olive oil
  • 1- 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 24 oz. broccoli or broccolini florets (about 5 cups) 
  • 1-2 tsp. sesame seeds
  • 1 green onion, thinly sliced
  • 3/4 cup red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced 
  • optional 1- 8 oz. can water chestnuts, drained and halved 
  • optional orange peels
  • optional 1 cup sliced mushrooms
Sauce Ingredients:
  • 2 TB. reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 2 TB. oyster sauce
  • 1 TB. rice wine vinegar
  • 1 TB. brown sugar, packed
  • 1 TB. freshly grated ginger or 1 tsp. dried ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. sesame oil
  • 1 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1 tsp. Sriracha, optional
Directions:
  • In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, cornstarch and Sriracha; set aside.
  • Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 2-3 minutes. Add broccoli/broccolini, orange peels and diced red pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
  • Stir in soy sauce mixture until well combined and slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
  • Serve immediately over brown rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mexican Street Corn Salad and Glazed Lemon Blueberry Loaf

There are many reasons to celebrate spring as nature begins to put on a showy display. With May around the corner, celebrations abound with ...