Many people have tried to account for the astonishing success of Roald Dahl's writing for children. Perhaps because he seems to understand the psychological life of a child better than most writers. He is able to bring their fears right to the surface, whether it's about the first day of school or saving your grandparents from death.
Dahl crafted fanciful, skillful narratives that were intriguing brimming with humor and quirkiness. Often his stories poke fun at adults from a children's point of view. Roald Dahl was a great believer in the importance of reading, and it comes across in his books. Today is Roald Dahl's birthday. Pick up a copy of one of your favorite book and share with a child. My favorite Dahl book is "James and the Giant Peach."
Looking for other ways to celebrate the day check out this site jumpintoabook There you will find an amazing collection of party ideas, recipes and book extensions to celebrate Dahl's birthday.
In honor of Roald Dahl's special day I baked
Herbed Caprese Puff Pastry Tart
Cook's Notes:This tart is easy and a great way to use up some of the late summer tomatoes, zucchini and basil from your garden or from your local Farmers Market.
- 1 package Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed (you will use one and 1/2 sheets)
- flour for dusting
- sliced tomatoes and zucchini
- grated mozzarella cheese or grated white cheddar cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice tomatoes and zucchini. Place on paper towels and sprinkle with sea salt grinder.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold one pastry sheet onto a lightly floured wax paper surface. Roll out to a 9 x 11 inch rectangle.
- Transfer to parchment paper lined sheet.
- Use a pizza cutter or pastry wheel to cut 4 long strips about 1 x 12 inch.
- Overlap strips around rectangle forming a crust.
- Use a fork and prick holes in the center and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove tart from oven and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on the tart. Arrange tomatoes and zucchini and basil over the cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese Italian herbs.
- Bake about 12-14 minutes more. Let tart cool slightly before serving. A pastry wheel works well cutting into 9 squares or use a serrated knife.
Tomorrow's posting: Tomato Galette