Autumn Sweet Potato Hash is fall’s answer to a savory late morning breakfast. The colors of autumn are captured on the plate. The savory ingredients include spicy Italian sausage, red bell peppers and caramelized onions, topped with a sprinkle of fresh herbs and Asiago cheese. Recipe serves 2 and is easily doubled.
Recipe adapted from EpicuriousIngredients:
- 2 links Spicy Italian Sausage, casing removed
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into tiny cubes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded, and diced
- • Salt and Black pepper
- Pinch paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Asiago cheese
- Add the potatoes to a large saucepan of salted boiling water and simmer until tender. Drain and dry completely with paper towels.
- Heat a large non-stick saute pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, crumble the spicy sausage into the pan allowing it stay relatively chunky, and brown it for a several minutes.
- Add to the pan onion and red bell pepper, and saute with the sausage for a few minutes until golden-brown (if a little more oil is needed, add in a drizzle of olive oil); add in a pinch or two of salt and freshly ground black pepper, the pinch of paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and Italian seasoning, and stir to combine
- Add in the cooked diced sweet potato, stir, and cook everything until it starts to caramelize and soften a bit, covered, for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finish the hash by adding the chopped parsley and green onion. Spoon the hash into bowls or plates, and top with the grated Asiago cheese.
- Optional serving with a fried egg if desired.