Celebrate Mexican Thursday Fiesta with
Southwestern Corn Tortilla Chorizo Quiche
Cook's notes:This Southwestern dish is definitely a showstopper fit for any meal. A white corn tortilla crust is packed with flavor using chorizo sausage, Mexican cheeses, tomatoes, peppers, onions, green chile and seasoning. Browning meat and sauteing peppers with onions ahead makes preparation easier. Degree of hotness can be controlled with amount of seasoning and chiles used. Your favorite toppings of cilantro, sour cream and salsa can be added right before serving. I loved the dish!
- 1/2 lb. chorizo pork or beef sausage
- 1/2 cup each diced red and green pepper
- 3/4 cup diced, sweet onions
- 1 cup grape tomatoes diced
- 1 TB. green chile peppers, drained
- 6-6 inch white corn tortilla (Super Soft brand)
- 1-1/2 cups Mexican Four Cheeses Blend
- 6 beaten large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup half and half (low fat)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp.Mexican Seasoning (see notation at bottom of recipe)
- Spray a large 9 inch quiche or pie plate with cooking spray. Arrange 5 tortillas around the baking dish so they overlap on bottom and up sides extending up over the rim of the baking dish. Lay sixth tortilla in center of baking dish bottom.
- Place 2 sheets of paper towels together on counter. Set diced tomatoes on paper towels.
- Brown the sausage, drain it really well and place with tomatoes. Saute onions and peppers. Add in chiles and place with meat mixture.
- Transfer meat mixture from paper towels to the center of tortilla shells. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheese mixture.
- In a bowl, mix eggs, cream, half and half and Mexican spice seasoning. Pour the egg mixture slowly over ingredients in tortilla crust.Don't worry if some of the the liquid runs underneath the shells.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and puffy or until set in middle. Let quiche rest 5 minutes before cutting. Add your favorite toppings.
Homemade Mexican Seasoning
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- dash red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- dash salt and pepper
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground cloves
- Mix and store in a covered container.