Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Thursday, January 14, 2016

It's Thursday Mexican Fiesta Night


Cook's notes: Since we are only about 40 miles from Nogales at the Mexican border I thought Ever Ready should have some recipes with a Mexican flair. So every Thursday a dish suitable for a Mexican fiesta will be posted. 
The first offering is an easy dish and it would be perfect for a Super Bowl party. 
Mexican Taco Casserole
The best thing about this Mexican Taco Casserole is it’s such a versatile dish to make. You can add more ingredients or less, depending on your family’s taste preferences. You can add a can of black beans, black olives or corn whatever you like. If you don’t have a jalapeño, try adding a can of chopped green chiles, drained. Corn tortillas really make the dish shine.

But don’t add all your favorite taco ingredients in the casserole. Some are better added on top, after it’s cooked. Sliced avocados, chopped fresh tomatoes, perhaps some green onions…all good choices. Add a couple shakes of your favorite hot sauce if you like things spicer. Any way you make it, this Mexican Taco Casserole is comfort food at it’s best.
Recipe adapted from imbored-letsgo.com
Directions:

  • 12 corn tortillas
  • 1½ lbs. ground turkey or ground beef
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 jalapeño, diced
  • 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1-1/2 cups frozen corn or canned mexicorn
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. chile powder
  • ¼ c. chopped cilantro
  • 3 cups Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend-low fat    
  • Assorted toppings: diced tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, green onions, sour cream
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In large skillet, brown turkey or ground beef with diced onions, garlic, and jalapeño. Season with cumin and chile powder. Add tomatoes and simmer about 10 minutes for flavors to combine. I like to puree one can of tomatoes and keep one can of them diced for some chunks. Add cilantro, beans and corn. Stir to combine.
  • In large casserole or baking dish alternate layers of tortillas, meat mixture and cheeses.
  • Bake in oven about 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Let rest 5 minutes before cutting.
  • Top each serving with desired toppings.
  • Note this recipe isn't too spicy so could add your favorite spicy taco sauce on top!
I recently came across this link I wanted to share.
Members of the Buzz Feed Community were asked to share their favorite lines of poetry in honor of National Poetry Month. Here are some of their responses. I had difficulty choosing a favorite and really liked the emotional piece conveyed in this one.

From “Funeral Blues” by W.H. Auden:

“He was my North, my South , my East and my West
My working week and my Sunday rest
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever, I was wrong.”

Check it out-you might find some favorites. 

3 comments:

  1. I love everything about this post: the recipe, the poetry graphic, your favorite poetry lines and that final statement about poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made my day-MERCI-MERCI-MERCI with your comment

      Delete
  2. Great poem. Love the recipe

    ReplyDelete

EASTER TREATS

An Easter treat that's gluten-free, easy to prepare, and naturally sweetened. Almond Cake with Yogurt Topping and Fresh Berries Cook'...