Turn Up The Heat-Soup's On
Creamy Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage and SpinachCook's notes: One of the best things about this soup recipe is its versatility with lots of options: Italian sausage or turkey sausage, green beans or peppers or cubed yellow squash, chicken broth or beef broth, cheese tortellini or tri color tortellini, spinach or cabbage, spices
Here's my version of this hearty rustic soup that works well for a main meal. It is also one of those soups that tastes better the second day. Pair the meal with artisan or French bread.
- 1 TB. olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 TB. garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 lb. Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup each diced carrots, celery, sweet red pepper
- 1 cup zucchini diced
- 1-32 oz. container of chicken broth (low sodium and fat free)
- 2 fresh tomatoes diced and drained on a paper towel
- 1 can (14 oz. ) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1- 2 cups torn spinach leaves (remove stems)
- 1- 9 oz. package fresh or frozen tortellini
- 1/4 -1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- In soup pot brown sausage and drain off fat. Set meat aside on a paper towel.
- Heat 1 TB. olive oil and saute onions 3 minutes, add in garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Add in zucchini, peppers, carrots, celery, tomatoes, spices, cooked meat, canned diced tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add in tortellini and spinach leaves, cook uncovered about 10 minutes, until pasta is al dente.
- Stir in yogurt (I used Fage brand which is thicker than other Greek yogurt products)