Seasonal PlateCapture fall flavors with these autumn side dishes that can be paired with roasted meats or fish. Nuts are optional additions in each dish.
(pictured clockwise) Mixed Greens with Apples, Grapes and Pecans Drizzled with Maple Cider Vinaigrette, Apple Cranberry and Almond Coleslaw, Autumn Roasted Vegetable Medley.
Apple Cranberry and Almond Coleslaw
Cook’s notes: This salad is tangy with just the right amount of sweetness. Prepare the dressing a few hours ahead, refrigerate and add to salad ingredients right before serving. Pair this autumn side with grilled chicken or use as a filling for fish tacos. Recipe adapted from cookingclassy.com and serves 6.
- 3/4 cup fat free Greek Yogurt (I recommend using Fage, other brands may will be too thin)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 TB. Dijon mustard
- 2 TB. apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups red cabbage
- 1 small bag of coleslaw mix with matchstick carrots
- 2 large gala or honey crisp apples, sliced into matchsticks (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds or 1 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- Whisk together the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, honey, mustard and apple cider vinegar until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl toss together cabbages, apples, green onions, almonds and cranberries. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and toss to evenly coat. Serve immediately for best results.
Autumn Roasted Vegetable Medley
Mixed Greens with Apples, Grapes and Pecans Drizzled with Maple Cider Vinaigrette
Cook’s notes: Maple Cider Vinaigrette is enough for 4-5 salads.
- Mixed greens about 6-8 cups to serve 4-5 people (I used a combination of baby spinach leaves and chopped Romaine)
- 1 large Granny Smith apple and 1 Honeycrisp apple, diced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cup halved red seedless grapes
- 1 cup candied pecans or toasted pecans
- Optional: ½ cup crumbled blue or feta cheese
- 3 TB. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. apple pie spice mix
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Mix greens with apples, grapes, onions and pecans.
- In blender add all ingredients and gradually add in olive oil. Mix well, cover and refrigerate until needed.