Test your knowledge of trick-or-treating favorites
based on ideas from Food Network Magazine
no peeking at answers until you take test
1. Where were gummy bears invented?
A. Sweden B. United States C. Japan D.Germany
2. Which of these ingredients are not in candy corn?
A. honey B. Pasteurized egg yolks C. Wax D. Corn Syrup
3. Which is the name of a candy bar not sold today?
A. Chicken Dinner B. Goo Goo Cluster C.Idaho Spud
4. What is the best selling candy?
A. Kit Kat B. Snickers C. Reeses Peanut Butter Cups D. Twix
5. A typical bag of trick-or-treat loot contains ______% chocolate?
A. 25 B.50 C. 75 D. 90
6. About how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?
A. 50-15- B. 150-250 C. 250-350 D. 350-450
7. How much did a Hershey bar cost when it first hit store shelves?
A. A penny B. A nickel C. A quarter D. A dollar
8. Which of the following flavors was not a part of the original Life Savers-Flavor roll?
A. Pineapple B. Orange C. Lime D. Grape
9. What was cotton candy originally called ?
A. Cottonballs B. Angel Thread C. Fairy Floss D.Spun Sugar
10. Which ingredient makes Pop Rocks pop in your mouth?
A. Carbon dioxide B. Citric Acid C. Baking soda D. Nitrogen
1. D 2. B. 3. A 4. C 5. 6. B 7.B 8.D 9.D 10. A
Cook's Notes: On another sweet note- be sure to put Apple-Cranberry Slab Pie on your list to try. It was absolutely delicious with the pairing of fall flavors apples and cranberries. This puff pastry makes a great coffee treat or dessert.Recipe adapted from Magnolia Journal 2016
- 1 package puff pastry 2 sheets, thawed
- 6 cups of diced apples (I used 4 Granny Smith and 1 Honey Crisp)
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. Saigon cinnamon
- 2 TB. sugar mixed with 1/2 tsp.Saigon cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 TB. pure maple syrup
- dash salt
- about 5 tsp. milk
- Thaw pastry sheets on a large sheet of wax paper that is lightly floured. Keep sheets covered with another piece of wax paper so they don't dry out.
- In a large bowl combine sugar, cinnamon and flour. Stir in diced apples and cranberries.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly roll one pastry sheet to approximately a 12 x 9 rectangle and place on baking sheet.
- Spread apple mixture down the center of the pastry sheet leaving a 3/4-1 inch border. Moisten the edges with a little milk.
- Unfold the remaining pastry sheet and roll to a 12 x 9 rectangle. Gently stretch over the bottom layer with apple mixture. Lightly press edges all around rectangle using fork tines.
- Brush top crust lightly with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Cut slits in pastry for vents.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until apple mixture is bubbling a bit through the vents. To prevent over browning cover pie loosely with foil if needed.
- Mix icing ingredients until smooth with a small whisk. Drizzle over slab pie that has cooled for 15 minutes that's assuming you can wait that long. Cut pastry using a sharp knife down center then cut into serving pieces.