Wild Rice Blend Harvest Salad with Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette
Cook's notes: Enjoy this healthy harvest salad with fall inspired ingredients. Cinnamon spiced roasted butternut squash paired with rice, Brussels sprouts, diced apples, cranberries and almonds is elevated to a whole new level when mixed with a Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette.
Recipe is adapted from iowagirleats.com and serves 5. The recipe is gluten-free if use pepitas instead of almonds.
Some suggested time savers include using shaved Brussels sprouts found in the frozen foods
packaged wild rice blend such as
and precut butternut squash cubes (e.g.Traders Joes-Costco).
- 1 package wild-brown rice blend
- chicken broth (low sodium, fat free)
- 3 cups 1” butternut squash cubes (about 1 small squash)
- 3 TB. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon each garlic powder, chili powder, cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 9 oz. thinly shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1 large or 2 small apples, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds or pepitas
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil or lemon olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, Fig Balsamic or Cinnamon Pear
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 TB. fig jam
- salt and pepper
- Follow package directions substituting chicken broth for the water and cook rice until al dente.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl add 1-1/2 TB. of oil , minced garlic and spices. Add butternut squash cubes and evenly coat. Roast for 15-20 minutes, or until squash is tender, stirring halfway through. Set aside to cool slightly. Can be done early in the day.
- Meanwhile, line another rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Add shredded Brussels sprouts, remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper stirring and roast for 8-10 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender and golden brown.
- Dice apples. In a large bowl combine cooked rice, butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, apples, almonds or pepitas, and dried cranberries. Drizzle Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette on top then toss to coat. There may be extra dressing left over.
- Serve salad at room temperature and refrigerate leftovers.
For the Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette: