White Chocolate Peppermint Mousse
Cook's notes: The mousse was served in shooter dessert glasses purchased at the Dollar Tree. Mini silver disposable spoons were purchased at a large grocery store e.g. Cub Foods. The silver serving tray from Michaels but also check your local thrift shops and dollar stores for other ideas.Recipe makes 6 shooters and is from myrecipes.com
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 4 oz. good quality white chocolate, divided
- ¼ tsp. peppermint extract
- 2 TB. crushed peppermint candies or candy cane
- Heat ½ cup cream in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Remove from heat and stir in the white chocolate until melted, then add in peppermint extract. Cool completely about 10 minutes in the freezer and stir once halfway through. Fold chocolate/cream mix gently with a spatula into the whipped cream, Spoon mousse into 6 small glasses.
- Cover and keep refrigerated. Sprinkle crushed peppermint candies on top of mousse just before serving.
Snowball Crinkle CookiesCook's notes: The silver tray is from the Dollar Store and garnished with a holiday sprig from my Christmas decorations. Recipe adapted from Cuisine Holiday Parties and makes 1 dozen large cookies or 15-18 small cookies.
- 1-1/2 cups each flour and granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup or 1 stick melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. instant espresso powder mixed with 4 TB. hot water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup each semisweet chocolate chips and dried cherries
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together cocoa and melted butter until smooth. Whisk in eggs, espresso powder mixture and vanilla. Stir cocoa mixture into flour mixture just until combined.
- Fold chocolate chips and cherries into dough until evenly distributed.
- Chill dough in freezer for 45 minutes for easier handling.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough out and roll into 2 inch balls for large cookies or 1-1/2 inch balls for smaller cookies.
- Roll balls in powdered sugar and transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake cookies 11-12 minutes until cracked yet still soft, being careful not to over bake.
Key Lime Mousse Tarts with Blackberries and Key Lime Mousse Shooters with Crushed PretzelsCook's notes: This versatile dessert can be served as a tart using mini fillo shells or as shooters using small dessert glasses. Recipe makes 15 tarts or 6 shooters from Taste of Home
- 4 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¾ cup heavy cream, whipped
- 2 TB. lime zest
- Blackberries for garnish
- 1 package frozen mini fillo shells, thawed (e.g. Athens brand)
- 1 cup crushed pretzels mixed with 2 TB. brown sugar and 2 TB. melted butter
- Beat cream cheese, condensed milk, lime juice and zest until smooth.
- Fold in whipped cream, cover lightly with a sheet of wax paper and refrigerate a few hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a baking sheet place tart shells in oven 3 minutes to crisp. Cool and fill right before serving with lime mousse. Top each tart with a blackberry.
- If making Key Lime Mousse Shooters make pretzel crumbs and layer Key lime mousse 2 times with the crumbs.
Sensational Sides for Holiday Meals