Not only did I manage to grab the box of French Butter Cookies from Costco recently this bag of nuts also went into my cart. The sheer size of the bag (think large when shopping at Costco) caught my attention. Not having to shell the nuts seemed like a time saver and I had read all about the healthy benefits of using these nuts in cooking .
Here are some fast nutrition facts on pistachios, courtesy of the Western Pistachio Association:
- One-ounce of pistachios equals 49 heart-healthy nuts (that is more nuts per serving than any other snack nut).
- Pistachios are naturally free of cholesterol and trans fat.
- One serving of pistachios has as much potassium as half a large banana (about 300 milligrams).
- Pistachios can be served as a protein alternative to meat, poultry or beans.
- There is more fiber in a serving of pistachios than in a nectarine or cup of prune juice.
- A serving of pistachios contains more than 10 percent of the recommended daily intake of dietary fiber and essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B-6, thiamin, copper and phosphorous.
- Pistachios also contain calcium, iron, folate, selenium, zinc and magnesium.
Since this purchased bag of pistachio was already shelled and salted I looked for recipes that used the nuts in smaller proportions.