Many were proud to show me that they can tie their shoes since that was one of my requests to learn while I was gone.
I overkilled on seashell collecting this past trip. It seems once you start you can't stop. Even Bella did her fair share on the trip. This was the shell she fetched out of the water thinking at first it was something to eat.
The class enjoyed this story of a boy who really wanted to catch a star. He tried unsuccessfully to catch one. By the end of the story he realizes the star he was looking for was really always right there in front of him on the beach. For me finding a starfish was scarce so I had purchase one from a store for the class :)
Lemon Orzo Salad with Asparagus, Spinach and FetaThis side dish is simple and fresh. Asparagus gives it a crunch and lemon zest with juice enhances the flavor. It would complement main dishes; salmon, fish or chicken.
This recipe was inspired by cuisineathome.com February 2014
- 3/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 TB olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry orzo pasta
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, stems removed
- 2 TB, lemon zest
- 1 TB. butter
- 1 TB. lemon juice
- 6 asparagus spears cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup feta cheese as a garnish or Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- optional 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- Saute onions and garlic in oil over medium heat until softened
- Add orzo and stir to coat, Cook 1-2 minutes, stir in broth and hot water
- Stir often until liquid is absorbed and orzo cooked. about 9 minutes
- Cook asparagus spears al dente and cut into pieces
- Off heat, stir in spinach,lemon zest and lemon juice, butter, salt and pepper, nutmeg and cut asparagus pieces
- Stir in pine nuts
- Sprinkle with feta cheese or Parmesan cheese
National Garden Day is May 9th.
National Public Gardens Day is an annual celebration of the nation’s public gardens to raise awareness of the important role botanical gardens and arboreta play in promoting environmental stewardship, plant and water conservation, green spaces, and education in communities nationwide.
Find a public garden near you to visit and enjoy spring .