"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel."
Maya Angelou (2012)
It was with great sadness today I read about the passing of Maya Angelou (civil rights activist, poet and winning author) What a void left in the literary field. She leaves behind an incredible legacy with her spirit of activism, words of inspiration and gift of prose.
Still I Rise
Roasted Pear Salad
Cook's notes: This flavorful side goes well with any grilled entree.
- 4 pears, halved and cored
- 8 teaspoons fig jam, divided
- 2 tablespoons fig jam, divided
- 5 ounces soft goat cheese, cut into 8 slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 cups watercress (may sub baby arugula or spinach)
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 325°F Place pear halves cut-side up in 2 large baking dishes.
- Spoon 1 teaspoons jam in center of each pear half. Top with goat cheese rounds, and lightly drizzle with oil.
- Bake pears 30 minutes, or until cheese begins to brown.
- Whisk together remaining 2 TB. fig jam, lemon juice, and mustard in bowl. Whisk in 1 Tbs. olive oil.
- Divide watercressor salad greens among 8 serving plates. Sprinkle with onion and walnuts. Top each with pear half, and drizzle with dressing.