Mixed Greens with Grilled Chicken and Roasted Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
Cook's notes: Although this dressing takes a bit longer to make with roasting the strawberries, it is still really simple and so worth it! Strawberries and balsamic vinegar are great together and even better when the strawberries are roasted.The berries hold their shape well in the oven and their intense flavor sweeter than ever, thanks to the slow-roasting process. The juice from the berries reduces in the oven to become a thick sauce, enhanced only with a touch of sugar, a pinch of salt and a sprinkling of pepper.
Roasted Strawberry Balsamic VinaigretteThis is a basic recipe for roasted strawberries and makes about 2 cups. It will keep up to one week in an airtight jar in refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from closetcooking.com
- 1 qt strawberries, washed, patted dry and hulled
- 2 TB. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, Chocolate Balsamic or Dark Cherry Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TB.Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- Place the strawberries in a single layer on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle with 2 TB. balsamic vinegar and 1/2 tsp. sugar.
- Roast the strawberries in a preheated oven 425 degrees 15 minutes-20 minutes until caramelized.
- In blender place all ingredients including roasted strawberries. Puree until smooth.
- Refrigerate until needed
Mixed Greens Salad with Grilled Chicken
Cook's notes: As a time saver I purchased 2 pieces of grilled chicken breasts from the deli and diced the meat. Two salads can be made from 2 chicken pieces.