Dubbed the "pie plant" by author Laura Ingalls Wilder, rhubarb's most well-known preparation is rhubarb pie. But have you ever heard of Rhubarb Delight? As you know it is not uncommon for recipes to be passed down through generations of families. Perhaps you have some favorite recipes made by one of your family members. This recipe comes from a groom's family in Iowa who passed it along to his new bride in Minnesota.
- 1 cup flour
- 6 TB powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- optional 3/4 cup toasted coconut
- Beat ingredients and pat into a 9 x9 glass pan.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Set aside and make filling.
- 2 large beaten eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Pour filling over prepared crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
Serve Rhubarb Delight with a scoop of ice cream