Cook's notes: It wasn't easy giving up my last and I might add coveted 5 Colorado peaches but I was able to put 5 to good use in two recipes. It was well worth it,
A galette is a free-form pastry, baked without a pie or tart pan. The dough is easy to make and much more forgiving than pie crust. The dough is rolled out flat, and then folded around the filling. It doesn’t matter if the crust tears a little or if the fruit juices leak out—galettes are supposed to look rustic. A prepackaged frozen pie crust thawed can be substituted.
Any mixed fruits (3 cups) e.g. blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, apples can be substituted for the peaches.
Here’s a trick for easily peeling peach skin: cut an “x” on the bottom of the fruit, place the peaches in boiling water for 2 minutes, then transfer to a bowl filled with ice water until cooled. The skin will peel right off!
- 1 pie crust rolled to a 10 inch circle about the size of a large dinner plate
- 3 large peaches, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 cup blueberries, rinsed and patted dry on a paper towel
- 3 TB. sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 TB. flour + 1 TB. flour
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- optional: a tablespoon of Peach Schnapps
- Egg wash and cinnamon sugar mixture for crust
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Lightly roll dough out to a 10 inches circle onto a lightly floured parchment paper.
- Combine sliced peaches, blueberries, sugar, cinnamon, flour, lemon juice and vanilla. Let sit 10 minutes, Drain fruit mixture into a fine mesh strainer. Sprinkle fruit mixture with additional 1 TB. flour.
- Transfer parchment paper to rimmed baking sheet. remove any excess flour on outside of dough circle.
- Arrange peach mixture in center of dough, leaving a 3-inch border. Fold edges of dough toward center, pressing gently to seal (dough will only partially cover peach mixture).
- Brush dough with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake 10 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove galette from oven); bake an additional 20 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp like a regular pie crust.
- On stove top place wire rack close to baking sheet and carefully transfer galette on parchment paper to wire rack to cool one half hour before cutting.
- Slide galette onto a cutting board and cut using a serrated knife.
Recipe makes 1 serving but with 2 large peaches I was able to make 3 drinks.
Recipe comes from gimmesomeoven.com and a perfect way to close out summer on a holiday weekend.
- 1/3 cup fresh peach puree (*see instructions below*)
- 2 oz. silver tequila
- 1.5 oz lime juice
- 1 oz. Triple Sec
- 1 oz. orange juice
- 1 TB. agave or honey
- optional garish: rim salt and fresh peach slice
- Add all ingredients together in a shaker. Shake for 15 seconds until combined. Serve over ice in a glass that has been rimmed with salt and garnished with a fresh peach slice.
- *To make fresh peach puree, simply peel and pit a fresh peach and puree it in a blender until smooth. 1 medium peach = approximately 1/2 cup puree (but measure to be sure).
- Oh, and don't forget to add a paper umbrella.