Looking for something new to bring to your next BBQ? Try this refreshing Watermelon, Strawberry, and Tomato Salad with Basil Drizzled with Balsamic Vinaigrette. I loved the extra touch of a homemade balsamic vinaigrette over the fruits and tomatoes. I doubled the vinaigrette recipe below so I'd have enough to cover the amount of fruit used in this recipe. Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar elevates the dish to a whole new level. If possible use yellow heirloom tomatoes for a nice color contrast.
Recipe adapted from awholenewtwist.comSalad Ingredients:
- 3 cups watermelon, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups of strawberries, halved or quartered into bite size pieces
- 2 -1/2 cups halved, multi-colored, cherry tomatoes
- ⅓ cup julienned fresh basil
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- fine grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 TB. good quality dark balsamic vinegar or Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 tsp. pure maple syrup
- ¼ tsp fine grain sea salt
- 2 TB. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a large bowl, layer in order: the watermelon, strawberries, tomatoes and basil.
- If making in advance, cover and refrigerate up to 6 hours.
- For the Balsamic Vinaigrette, add all ingredients in a blender and mix. Place dressing in small covered jar, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, shake the balsamic vinaigrette, add salt and pepper to taste. Toss dressing with salad and add in crumbled blue cheese..
Chilled Italian Shrimp and Tortellini Salad
Cook's notes: This delicious, light shrimp and tortellini salad can be served as a side or main dish, perfect for summer potlucks or pool parties, or anytime you need a pasta. And the good news it's 8 Smart Points and 366 calorieshttp://www.skinnytaste.com/?s=Chilled+Italian+Shrimp&submit=%EF%80%82