Some of the best new recipes to try in 2017
Cook's notes:This Moroccan Chickpea Soup recipe is naturally vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free, it's super easy to make, and full of so many rich and delicious flavors.
One Pan Wonder-Roasted Potatoes and Kielbasa
Cook's notes: These roasted potatoes are ultra crispy and flavorful with a perfect browning on the coins of kielbasa. Easy one-pan dinner idea.
Winter Fruit Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
Cook's notes: Just like any fruit salad this is a versatile recipe, you can swap out the fruits for others you may have on hand like pears, tangerines, mangoes, pineapple, etc. I love the way the fruit pairs with the sweet and slightly tart lemon poppy seed dressing in this fruit salad. And of course I can’t get enough of all the vibrant flavors of the fruits used here.
Smoked Turkey and Citrus Wild Rice Salad
Cook's notes: This powerhouse of a salad is packed with nutrients and flavor. Drizzle a homemade Orange-Honey Vinaigrette over the salad and you have one delicious main dish. If you want to go vegan-no problem, just omit the turkey.
Recipe adapted from "The Birchwood Cafe Cookbook" by Tracy Singletyon, Marshall Paulson with Beth Dooley. Love how the book divides recipes by the season. This salad recipe was found in the winter section. Certainly citrus fruits brighten winter meals.
Recipe serves four.
- 1/2 -3/4 small bag of mixed greens
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup each diced celery, mini sweet red peppers, sweet onions or red onions, diced, dried cranberries or cherries
- 1/4 lb. smoked turkey, cut in strips
- 3 small Halos ( tangerines) peeled and segmented
- 1/4 cup orange juice or juice one large orange to equal 1/4 cup
- 1 TB. orange zest
- 2 TB. white balsamic vinegar or Cara, Cara orange Vanilla Balsamic, Cranberry Pear Balsamic and Mango White
- 2 TB. honey
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 TB. Dijon mustard
- dash sea salt and dash ground pepper
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil or Blood Orange Olive Oil
- Mix wild rice, veggies, orange segments and cranberries in a bowl. Add in strips of turkey if using it.
- Plate each salad individually starting with mixed greens and top each salad with 1/3 cup each wild rice mixture. Drizzle with orange vinaigrette.
- In a blender, add orange juice, zest, vinegar, honey, garlic,salt and pepper . Blend thoroughly until combined.
- With the blender running, slowly add the olive oil. Serve immediately or pour into a jar with a screw top. Refrigerate until needed. Be sure to shake again before serving.