Just living is not enough
one must have sunshine, freedom,
and a little flower.
Hans Christian Anderson
Cook's Notes: One Skillet Tex-Mex Casserole is a simple recipe that comes together in just 30 minutes. A one pot meal that features your favorite Mexican flavors that cook all in one pan. You can't beat that! It's a quick and easy weeknight dinner option with little clean up. Underneath the crunchy chips are cheesy goodness with protein and lots of Tex-Mex flavor. Depending on your barometer level for hotness increase or decrease spices and chiles and type of enchilada sauce. The recipe serves four but can easily be doubled. Swap chicken for ground beef and long grain rice for orzo for other options. Pair the meal with Cherry Float Cupcakes.
- 2 TB. olive oil, divided
- 1 LB. ground beef or chicken rotisserie (about 3 cups cooked chicken)
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup mini sweet bell peppers, diced (combination red, yellow and orange)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 1-19 oz. can mild enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup dried orzo or long grain rice (uncooked)
- 1-14.oz can steam fresh Mexicorn, rinsed and drained
- 1- 14.5 oz can Fire Roasted tomatoes
- 3 TB. mild green chiles, diced
- 1/2 tsp. each cumin, chili powder and smoked or regular paprika
- 1/2 can refried beans
- 1-1/2 cups from package of Mexican 4 Cheeses
- Tortilla chips, crushed
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped lettuce
- Chopped avocados
- Sour cream
- Use a large fry pan with deep sides. Brown ground beef in 1 TB. olive oil, crumble and set aside
- Wipe pan clean and add 1 TB.olive oil to pan, Saute onions and peppers for 3 minutes and add in garlic and saute 2 more minutes more.
- Turn heat to low and add in cooked meat, chicken broth, enchilada sauce, corn, roasted tomatoes, chiles, spices, refried beans, uncooked orzo and cheeses. Cook uncovered on low for 30 minutes. Water or chicken broth can be added the next day for reheating if needed.
- To serve choose some suggested toppings,