Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Friday, November 10, 2017

A Showstopper Pumpkin Pie

This was one of my favorite issues of 
with so many enticing recipes. Bobby Flay's Pumpkin Pie with Bourbon-Maple Whipped Cream and Cinnamon  Crunch caught my immediate interest. I wanted to test it out before Thanksgiving to make sure it would be manageable as we are hosting dinner. The ingredients and directions were 3/4 of a page so my mission was to streamline the recipe. I am aware probably 99.9% of those cooking would be happy enough with a prepared pie crust and using Libby's Pumpkin Pie Filling but I am always up for  challenge. The end result was fantastic and so well worth the effort. Indeed it was a show stopper dessert and I would definitely make it again using my adaptations. 

Cook's Notes: Since I made multiple adaptations to get the recipe just right (sorry Bobby) I will include the original recipe link. 
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/bobby-flays-pumpkin-pie-with-cinnamon-crunch-and-bourbon-maple-whipped-cream-recipe-1965538

I will admit there were a few puzzling things about the recipe as I worked through it but I just kept saying to myself it's a Bobby Flay recipe so it must be right.
The recipe called for miscovado sugar. I had never heard of it so looked it up to find a substitute. I used dark  brown sugar. 
Muscovado - Another cane sugar, this one has a very moist texture and a strong molasses flavor. 
The cinnamon crunch was quite tasty but that part of the recipe was enough for many pies so I bagged the extra up. I found it's perfect as topping for oatmeal and yogurt. 


My sister was surprised I even had bourbon for whipped cream.  Only 1-2 teaspoons were  needed but a small airline size bottle from the liquor store come to the rescue for this topping.  
Lastly, I would suggest if you are up for this scrumptious pie consider some advance  planning. The crust and cinnamon crunch can both be baked the day before.  
Cinnamon Crunch
Ingredients: 
  • 1/2 cup each flour, oats, muscovado sugar or brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. Saigon cinnamon
  • 7 TB. of cold butter, cut into small cubes
Directions: 
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the flour, oats, sugar and cinnamon in the food processor. Pulse a few times to combine. Add in butter and pulse a few times to mix. 
  • Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread crunch evenly out and bake 20 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes. Let cool and chop into small pieces. Set aside. 
  • If making ahead cool completely and then spread out on a dinner plate. Place a sheet of wax paper over it until serving or place in a plastic bag though do not seal it
Graham Cracker Crust
Ingredients:
  • 2 packages of graham crackers (9 come in a sleeve-so 2 sleeves) 
  • 5 TB. melted butter
  • 1 tsp. Saigon cinnamon
Directions:
  • Combine the graham crackers and cinnamon in a food processor. Mix until there are fine  crumbs. Add in melted butter and mix well. 
  • Press evenly into bottom and up sides of pie pan. Bake until golden 10 minutes.   
  • Cool on a rack.
Filling
Ingredients:
  • 3 large eggs and 3 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup muscovado sugar or brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
  • 2 TB. molasses
  • 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree not pie filling 
  • 1-1/2 tsp. Saigon cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice mix
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup milk 2% or whole
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 tsp. melted butter
Directions:
  • Reduce oven heat to 300 degrees. Make filling by whisking eggs, egg yolks, sugars, and molasses in a bowl. Whisk in pumpkin puree, cinnamon, pumpkin spice mix and salt. 
  • Whisk in cream, milk and vanilla and melted butter. Pour mixture through a strainer into a bowl. 
  • Place pie pan in  a baking sheet. Pour the pumpkin filling into crust. Bake until the filling is set around the edges and knife inserted comes out clean about one hour and ten minutes. Cool before cutting.
  • To serve add 1 large tablespoon of cinnamon crunch to each serving topped with a  dollop of whipped cream.   
Whipped Cream
Ingredients:
  • 1 pint heavy cream 
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 TB. maple syrup
  • 1-2 tsp. bourbon
Directions:
  • Chill beaters and bowl. Combine all ingredients and whip until soft peaks form.
 Spotlight on Native American Heritage Month with Some Suggested Resources

3 comments:

  1. No recipe defeats you, does it? Your ability to figure things out and adapt to what works best always impress me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For years I bought Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving thinking that my godfather loved it. Finally one year he told me he doesn't. Maybe I should have felt bad but it became this hilarious story.

    ReplyDelete

Cowboy Country and Cowboy Baked Beans

  Cowboy Country   Hacienda de la Canoa Tour Canoa Ranch in Green Valley, AZ was a working cattle ranch from 1820 to the 1970s. At its peak,...