Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Think Inside The Box

Recently I saw a sign that pictured a box of chocolates on it. Above the box was the word:Chocolate and below the box was the quote:Think Inside The Box. It caught my attention since it is a different way to think inside not outside. So my take on this intriguing thought is to think about chocolate in a different way than the usual calorie laden decadent treat that we crave but know we should limit consumption. So keeping with the theme of inspiration that I have written about in a few blogs as of late I was motivated to find such a chocolate recipe. One that would be lighter in calories. At the library I found Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2003 and a yummy recipe for Mocha Fudge Brownie. The upside is it has only 146 calories in one piece, the downside the recipe neglected to say exactly what size they meant!! Let me know what you think of the recipe. I thought it was quite easy to make.
Thinking about this chocolate sign triggered a thought about a poem I have in a collection called Mother's Chocolate Valentine by Jack Prelutsky. I realize I am out of sync for the holiday season but thought you would enjoy reading it.

Mother's Chocolate Valentine

I bought a box of chocolate hearts,
a present for my mother.
They looked so good I tasted one,
and then I tried another.

They both were so delicious
that I ate another four.
and then another couple,
and then a dozen more.

I couldn't seem to stop myself,
I nibbled on and on,
before I knew what happened
all the chocolate hearts were gone.

I felt a little guilty,
I was stuffed down to my socks,
I ate my mother's valentine...
I hope she likes the box.
_____________________________________________________________________
Mocha Fudge Brownies
Ingredients:
Brownies
  • 1 oz. semisweet chocolate chopped
  • 3-1/2 TB. butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 TB. instant coffee granules
  • 2 TB. Kahlua
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 cup chopped nuts
Glaze
  • 2 TB. sugar
  • 1 T. water
  • 1 TB. dark corn syrup
  • 2 tsp. butter
  • 1 oz. semisweet chocolate chopped
  • 1 tsp. Kahlua
Directions:
  • Preheat oven 350
  • Pam spray a 8 x 8 glass pan
  • Combine 1 oz. chocolate and 3 1/2 TB. in a microwave bowl
  • Cover and heat 1 minute
  • Stir chocolate till melted
  • Stir in sugar and the next 6 ingredients
  • Spoon flour into a bowl and combine with baking powder, baking soda, and salt
  • Stir well with a whisk
  • Add chocolate mixture and stir till moist
  • Optional: add 1 cup walnuts
  • Cook 22 minutes
To prepare glaze
Combine sugar, water, syrup, and 2 tsp. butter and microwave high @ 44 seconds
or until sugar dissolved
Add 1 oz. chocolate and 1 tsp. liqueur and stir until chocolate melts
Spread over cooled brownies
____________________________________________________________________
Of Interest: There was an interesting feature story Monday in the Star Tribune about a new children's book called Dark Emperor and Other Poems of The Night by Joyce Sidman and illustrated by Rick Allen. The article talked about the collaborative effort between an editor from Houghton Mifflin who lives up north in Minnesota,the author and the illustrator putting the book together.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review It's Murder, You Betcha!

  Author Jeanne Cooney has cooked up another cozy mystery for her fans with her newest book, “It's Murder You Betcha,” Book Two in the I...