Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Salami Trade


The World According to Bella
Well my careful watch on the wildlife finally paid off! As I was sitting on the porch staring intently over my domain something caught my attention as it quickly ran by. I ran furiously to catch up with that rabbit who scurried around the corner of the garage. Let me tell you I was quicker and managed to clamp my jaws firmly on its neck. I was so proud of myself as I laid down in the grass and was just about ready to take a bite when I heard a blood curdling scream from my owner. "Stop, stop!"he yelled running towards me with something in his hand but I was not about to drop my prize. Yet the temptation was too great when I saw it was salami. So my owner managed to make a trade. I dropped that dazed rabbit and scarfed up the salami. I do not understand why my owner was making such a fuss over what I thought was the ultimate prize.
________________________________________________
This Tomato Basil Tart is the perfect way to celebrate your garden bounty. I have been looking for a recipe that uses ripened tomatoes and fresh basil from the garden. I posted a picture of my first raspberry crop. Quite small but fit nicely in a sherbet glass.
Ingredients:
  • prepared pastry for a tart pan (I used Pappy product- 2 dough balls rolled thin)
  • 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic-finely chopped
  • 3 eggs slightly beaten
  • 1 cup half and half
  • 1 small onion thinly sliced and separated into rings
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 4 or 5 tomatoes sliced thinly and dried on a paper towel
  • 1-1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese or Gruyere cheese
Directions:
  • Preheat oven 375 and press dough evenly into tart pan and up the sides-line pastry with foil on bottom and up on sides
  • Add foil strip around sides to prevent browning
  • Bake 10 minutes
  • Remove foil and bake 4 minutes longer
  • In a blender add eggs milk, salt, pepper and garlic
  • Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the bottom, onion slices and add chopped basil on top of this
  • Slowly pour liquid into shell
  • Arrange tomatoes on top of liquid and sprinkle cheese on top
  • Bake 35 minutes till center comes out clean using a knife



No comments:

Post a Comment

EASTER TREATS

An Easter treat that's gluten-free, easy to prepare, and naturally sweetened. Almond Cake with Yogurt Topping and Fresh Berries Cook'...