Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Tips and Timesavers

Cook's Notes: Tips and Time savers courtesy of Cuisine at Home readers
August 2017
A Stitch in Time
When I reheat food especially a casserole or pot pie, I place a cold dish in a cold oven. Then I turn oven on to 350 degrees. The food heats as the oven comes to temperature and by the time the oven is at temperature the food is safely heated completely through, saving me time and energy.  
Ring Top
The ring pulls on juice juice or milk cartons and some can lids are very hard for me to remove with my fingers. I discovered that a wooden spoon handle threaded through the ring pull gives me the added leverage I need to help pull those pesky caps off. 
Griddle Meister
With grilling season in full force I discovered a way to cook some foods that you wouldn't normally  cook on a grill. I take my griddle out to the grill and cook pancakes, bacon, even delicate fish fillets. They taste slightly smoky too.

October 2017
English Bake Off
When I make casseroles I use English muffin crumbs for a super crunchy topping. I butter two muffin halves tear them into pieces and pulse them into crumbs with my food processor.  They're covered in butter and ready to top my casserole. 
All 'Round Winner
Sliders are a big hit at my house. I've tried various ways of making cheese fit on them. I use a biscuit cutter slightly smaller than the burgers and punch out about two discs per square slice. I save the scraps for nachos or add to mac'n cheese. 

October 2016
Oat Cuisine 
I add a few tablespoons of oats to casseroles before baking. The oats act as a thickening agent, giving the dish a creamy texture and makes it more nutritious, while imparting a nutty flavor. Though you may need to add a few extra tablespoons of liquid.
Waffle Iron Clean-Up
I use my waffle iron constantly so it always needs to be cleaned. I've found a great way to remove  all the residue-use Q-Tips. They are just the right size for maneuvering in and out of all the nooks and crannies. 
Wednesday's Beauty



No comments:

Post a Comment

EASTER TREATS

An Easter treat that's gluten-free, easy to prepare, and naturally sweetened. Almond Cake with Yogurt Topping and Fresh Berries Cook'...