Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Monday, April 18, 2022

Lamb Cake 101

 

A lamb cake is simply a cake batter that is baked in a two-sided mold that is shaped like a lamb. It is traditionally served at Easter to represent the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross for the sins of humanity.
Lamb cakes originated in Germany, where the Osterlamm Kuchen is baked in a two-piece metal pan, sprinkled with powdered sugar, and decorated with a red ribbon around the neck.
This lamb mold has been in my husband's family for many years. He grew up enjoying a traditional lamb cake every Easter. Since I have had the mold many years he annually puts in his request. This year he finally wore me down and I said "yes!" FIRST TIME EVER and let me tell you I feel like I "birthed a baby" after this project was all said and done.

After studying numerous recipes and scrolling through photos online on Pinterest I went with this recipe. https://midwestniceblog.com/lamb-cake-recipe/

But yikes! It was 3 pages long but very detailed so I was sure I could do this despite a few challenges along the way. The batter was straightforward but it was highly suggested grease mold well but sprinkle generously with sugar, not flour something new to me. After the cake batter is placed in the mold, I followed the suggestions to place toothpicks inside the batter along with the lamb's ears, head, and neck for stability before placing the face mold down on a cookie sheet.  
Then the second half of the mold was placed on the other half and the mold was then wrapped in twine to ensure it stayed together. Pieces of foil were added to the ears and head to prevent over-browning in the baking process. 

VOILA!! I was able to successfully remove it from the mold.  

It was at this point  I realized I needed some help in the form of "star power" (extra ammunition) from my decorator friend, Martha. She has all the necessary decorating tools.  It took almost two hours to decorate. 
My husband seemed quite happy with the cake as you can see from the picture. So well worth it but my, oh my, I must admit painful to lop off the head and slice for the guests.  
And a big THANK YOU to Martha for her assistance. 
Another check-note to self
skip making the cake next year. Note: I have a mold available for anyone who wants to borrow it for their very own Easter cooking challenge. 
 
Later in the day, the cake made a great addition to an Easter dinner we attended. There were many creative appetizers and lots of food contributions to a yummy ham dinner. 
 
Thanks to Ingrid and Terry for hosting this fun Easter gathering. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm impressed by the outcome. Well done, lamb team. I remember my mom having one of these molds. But she never made a lamb cake. Now I understand why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL yes work indeed thank heavens I had help as the pressure was on!!

    ReplyDelete

Book Review Echoes of Forgotten Places

Helen Wand is a master storyteller who makes a time period in history come alive with her new novel, "Echoes of Forgotten Places."...