Fresh Strawberry Upside Down Cake
Cook's notes: It's hard to believe this cake was made with only 4 ingredients!! I recently had a piece of this cake made by my neighbor's niece. When I went online to look at recipe I was surprised there were 501 reviews. This must be a popular recipe to have so many cooks weigh in. After reading quite a few reviews from allrecipes.com I might suggest using on 1 -3 oz. package of jello rather than suggested 6 oz. package.
The reviewers all agreed fresh frozen strawbrries can be used but avoid using store bought frozen strawberries for this recipe.
This recipe also had some options to consider by using other fruits and jello combinations and cake mixes. Will include those ideas in the recipe.
- 2 cups crushed strawberries (measure berries after you mash them) add 1/2 tsp. sugar and let berries sit 15 minutes
- 1-3 oz. package of strawberry or raspberry flavored jello
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1-package yellow or white cake mix
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease slightly bottom of a 13 x 9 pan
- Spread crushed strawberries on bottom of pan
- Sprinkle dry gelatin powder over strawberries
- Top with mini marshmallows
- Prepare cake as directed on box and pour over the top of the marshmallows
- Bake about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean from center
- Cool in pan 15 minutes
- Run a knife around the pan to loosen the sides
- Place a large platter over the top and invert
- Store cake refrigerator
- Top with whip cream