Buttermilk BrowniesRecipe from food.com
- 1 stick of butter and 1 stick of margarine
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (regular-type, dry)
- 2 cups sugar sugar
- 1 cup water or 1 cup coffee
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 slightly beaten large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 TB. Kahlua
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 TB. unsweetened cocoa powder (regular type, dry)
- 3 TB. buttermilk
- 2 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 TB. Kahlua
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- In a saucepan combine butter, cocoa, 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water
- Bring to boil; stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, blend together flour, soda and salt.
- In small bowl combine buttermilk, eggs, Kahlua and vanilla; whisk lightly with a fork.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients; mix until smooth.
- Add cocoa mixture gradually with mixer on low setting.
- Mix until well blended (flour and buttermilk mixture will be thick and likely need to be scraped from sides of bowl to blend thoroughly).
- Pour into greased 13 x 9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 24 minutes. Test with toothpick.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In saucepan, mix 1/4 cup butter, 3 TB. cocoa and 3 TB. buttermilk.
- Whisk and stir until boiling (mixture will be slightly curdled); remove from heat.
- Beat in 2-1/4 cups powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 TB. Kahlua. Add more buttermilk as needed.
- Pour frosting over brownies and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.