Add a Mexican twist to your holiday brunch with a Southwestern Sausage Egg Bake. The best part it can be assembled the night before and popped in the oven right before your guests arrive.
- 5 large eggs
- ¾ cup 2 % milk
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Adobo seasoning or 1/4 tsp. chili powder and 1/4 tsp. cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 lb. pork sausage or chorizo
- ½ cup onion, cut into small pieces
- 2 scallions, diced
- 3/4 cup green peppers and red peppers, diced
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, diced
- 3-4 cups French bread, cut into 2-inch cubes (preferably one day old and dry)
- 2 cups Jalapeno Cheese, Extra Sharp White Cheddar or Yellow Cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- Cilantro leaves (optional)
- 1/3 cup salsa
- For individual stratas, butter insides of four individual baking dishes. If serving family style, butter inside of 8-9 inch baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs with milk, spices and Dijon. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and brown meat. Set aside. Add the onions, green and red peppers, corn, tomatoes and scallions to the pan drippings in the same skillet, saute until translucent, about 4 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Fill the baking dish half way with cubed bread. Sprinkle with cheese over the bread, then top with vegetable mixture and sausage. Then add one more layer of bread, vegetables and sausage mixture, finish it with remaining cheese.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over strata and let stand for minimum of 20 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.Bake strata uncovered until cooked through, puffed, and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with avocado and cilantro, if using and 1 TB. salsa.